Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't: shut down, restart, switch user, log out, ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't: shut down, restart, switch user, log out, ...

Almost everything in the "Leave" menu (or the various leave/logout/shutdown menu items and desktop widgets) is broken now. I'm not sure if this started with the KDE 4.2.98 update or not.

The first time I try to shut down, the countdown plasma thingie appears, but there's no shutting-down going on whatsoever. No apps are closed, nothing. The next time I try to shut down, there's no feedback at all anymore. Can't tell if anything happens.

"Restart Computer" doesn't do anything.

"Logout" doesn't do anything.

Can still "Sleep".

Can still "Lock screen".

Could never successfully "Hibernate" in the first place.

"Switch user" brings up a black plasma rectangle with nothing on it except an "X" button to the right (which closes it).

Hmrgrm.

Re: Can't: shut down, restart, switch user, log out, ...

HI

I posted a similar bug in KDE (but this is for KDE 4.3 RC) and I got mostly ignored over there:
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201569

Maybe you can post there a "me too", hopefully someone will pay attention?

Comment

by the way, as a workaround, you can open a konsole and:

"sudo service kdm restart" should give you a new login

"sudo reboot" should restart

"sudo halt" sould shutdown

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
        HI

I posted a similar bug in KDE (but this is for KDE 4.3 RC) and I got mostly ignored over there:
        https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201569

Maybe you can post there a "me too", hopefully someone will pay attention?
        We're running the same version. I added a comment in the Bugzilla.

Comment

The problem is, if no one reports thing they won't get fixed. You are the fourth person here to have this bug, but only I reported it, and I asked the rest to please add a vote or comment in kde's bugzilla but no one did so far.

When developers fix bugs, they rightly focus on the ones that seem to occur to several people (to filter out oddities that have to do with someone's configuration, messup, etc)

Comment

I just signed up and commented.

I have bunches of other bugs to report but I'm not always sure how to do it right.

Comment

I renamed my ~/.kde/share/config. Seems to have helped...

Comment

ah, thanks, a new user also works, but I'd like to help fix the bug if possible, although no one seems to be answering on the other side; I saw you report in bugzilla, too , thank you for stopping by there

Comment

I still can't "switch user" to start a new session. I get a new GDM login, pick Fluxbox or Gnome, and then I'm dumped back into KDE. Well, it works with KDM instead of GDM. Maybe that's normal, then.

Comment

Yeah, it makes sense for that to depend on KDM.

KDE 4.3 final is out, I am sure this bug will remain. I am surprised no one answered at all in bugzilla. It would be good to know, at least whether there is a way to debug these things (some component may be throwing a warning or error to stdout, I don't know how to capture/monitor that)

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                      KDE 4.3 final is out, I am sure this bug will remain.
                      It's back for me, anyway. :P

Comment

Wow, you mean the upgrade brought it back

I just updated, still there!

Comment

I'm not sure it was the update that brought it back. But yeah, I had updated a couple hours ago. Cleaned out some config stuffs again, more or less at random, now I can log out/restart/shut down - but the kded4 process ALWAYS goes to 99% CPU and stays there.

Comment

Could u just logout back to the login screen? i cant. when i chose logout, my machine powersoff.

This behaviour i just noticed when i created another user for a friend who wanted to use my laptop for a couple of hours.

i had to reboot and then login as user2. i could not frm user1 logout and the login as user2. Switch to user 2 just hanged.

Comment

Yes, I can log out normally. And then log in normally. And then kded4 chomps down on my CPU.

Comment

Working...
                              X