Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheese doesn't open in Kubuntu 9.4 - SOLVED (thank you to all)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheese doesn't open in Kubuntu 9.4 - SOLVED (thank you to all)

I've been trying to open Cheese (I keep my 3yr old entertained with it). But it opens and immediately closes again.

I've u-installed it (using sudo apt-get purge cheese) and re-installed it (using sudo apt-get install cheese).

Re: Cheese doesn't open in Kubuntu 9.4

Doesn't happen here, but i'm using the latest version, not the one from the repo's... Let me make a deb of the newest one for you

Here you go:

http://sites.google.com/site/ubukunt...attredirects=0
    Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Hi Vistaus

you have saved my day. Now I can get on with my housework while I put my very computer-savvy 3yr daughter in front of cheese.

Thank you a million times over for helping

Comment

Originally posted by snowflake_nz
        I've been trying to open Cheese (I keep my 3yr old entertained with it). But it opens and immediately closes again.
        This is obvious.

Your three year old could have told you:

The cheese stands alone!

hawk
        Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Comment

Hi dochawk

funny - Kubuntu saves my sanity @ home with the tiersome three's. I was dual booting with windows, but eventually just stopped using it completely.
          Backed my data up and made the move - I don't regret a second of it.
          She's even playing Frozen Bubble and adores SuperTux (Mario Bros clone).

And the best part is - I've got all this great support at my fingertips from people like you who are willing and able to help and are always friendly.

Enjoy the rest of the week

Comment

Re: Cheese doesn't open in Kubuntu 9.4 - SOLVED (thank you to all)

I have a 3 year old grandson who just loves the games and videos on Kubuntu! Grandpa loves showing them to him, too!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi there GreyGeek

glad I'm not the only one that's hooked on this stuff. It's so much easier to put her in front of the computer with all the games, cheese, etc while I'm getting on with my things on the laptop.
              She's pretty tech-savvy for her age.

Sitting in front of the computer is our special time together when no-one else needs attention

Comment

Years ago, when I had to telnet into the machine on my desk to play nethack, my small child (3?) would tell me, "play the kitty game, daddy!" (a pet follows you around in nethack). Years later, she'd be hooked on the game, and now her husband.

By the time of my youngest, I'd play nethack on a laptop, so the gold would be yellow (console mode). The twins would point and order me, "get the gold!"

hawk
                Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Comment

Funny how they watch what you do and then turn around a few weeks and tell you what to do.
                  We're looking into buying another laptop for my 16yr old son, poor thing doesn't get computer time now.
                  That's what makes Kubuntu/Ubuntu so great. He uses windows at school and at home I teach him open source - guess which one he loves? Open source games (ha-ha).
                  His teachers are impressed because he's more advanced with computers than the kids in his class.
                  Kindergarten thinks it's very impressive that the 3yr old knows where to put the computer on, etc. To them it's still cute - they don't have to try and work when she wants the computer!

Comment

...His teachers are impressed because he's more advanced with computers than the kids in his class.
                    Kindergarten thinks it's very impressive that the 3yr old knows where to put the computer on, etc...
                    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2583#msg182583

Oh yeah, thanks for the thread... looks like a fun app to have in a year or two!

Comment

Kubuntu (Linux) is a wallet saver! 8)

With Linux I just keep pulling the games down, one at a time, .... Some they play for weeks, like Bubbles, or Potato Head, others they try once and that's it. I am glad I don't have to shell out cash for them, especially when they try them once and realize the game is too advanced for them or they get bored after one go-around.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

kjjjjshab - haha, know that feeling. It happened to me & I used that exact same thread to help me out. It was frustrating.

greygeek - it does save bundles in $'s, especially in my household. I've got the 16yr boy; the 3yr girl & then my hubby who likes to game aswell. So all thanks to linux I can just get new ones and not feel the cost. I'm forever downloading something somewhere for them.
                        I find that Linux-games keep the attention a little longer than other games. Frozen Bubble & SuperTux are no1 with them. I prefer MahJong (keeps my mind active)

Comment

Hi Vistaus

you have saved my day. Now I can get on with my housework while I put my very computer-savvy 3yr daughter in front of cheese.

Thank you a million times over for helping
                          Your welcome
                          Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Working...
                          X