X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

screen won't turn off

Hi all,

First post on this forum so greetings to you all!

I have disabled my screen server and set my screen to turn off after 10 minutes.

Standby and suspend work fine but 'off' does nothing to the display.

I ran
    Code:
    xset -q
    and I see dpms should turn the screen off after ten minutes.

I ran
    Code:
    xset dpms force off
    but that did nothing.

Any help would be apreciated

Thanks.
    Kubuntu 9.04 32bit<br />Laptop Dell Studio 1737<br />&nbsp; Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU&nbsp; &nbsp; T5800&nbsp; @ 2.00GHz<br />&nbsp; 2 GB RAM<br />&nbsp; 160GB Disk (Encrypted LVM2)

Re: screen won't turn off

Hi

Did you check the Screen options in System Settings whether DPMS is on according to that? I know you meant to verify that with xset, but I am wondering what's interfering! There also powersave options somewhere in System Settings , worth a look too. Maybe you did that (I am not quite sure what your first sentence exactly means )

Comment

Hi lmilano,

Thank you for your answer and sorry for the delay...

I have my screen saver disabled and all power options disabled in the Display settings.

What I did enable was in 'Power Management'. PowerDevil is managing the power, and standby and suspend work but sadly, powering off the screen does not. Nor does it work using xset manually as above.

That's really all there is in terms of info... can you think of anything else I could check for... the pressure for being green these days!
      Kubuntu 9.04 32bit<br />Laptop Dell Studio 1737<br />&nbsp; Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU&nbsp; &nbsp; T5800&nbsp; @ 2.00GHz<br />&nbsp; 2 GB RAM<br />&nbsp; 160GB Disk (Encrypted LVM2)

Comment

Hi Eco!

Mmm, I just checked, it seems like DPMS and Power Devil are complementary. I see no option in Power Devil to shutdown the display. Why don;t you enable DPMW in the Screen section, just set it like in the screenshot to test and wait a minute, it will hopefully go off!
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi again

Sorry, late answer again, kid is ill and I'm not on the box 24/7

I disabled 'Power Devil' and only enabled the power saving features in the 'Screen Saver' but sadly, I get the same result. The screen will standby and suspend (not that I can tell the difference) but it won't turn off!

Any other tricks under your hat or can we catalogue this as a bug

Comment

OMG, you _are_ right! I'll post before I go bad to bed (my kis is ill too!). If I set all three to be 1 minute I get standby, but not power off in my Rosewill Monitor. I think we should file this as a bug in Launchpad if we have time. Let's post here so we (and potentially others) can report in the bug.

Also, if anyone is reading this thread, can you please try this and see if yuo have the same issue?

Incidentally, I wonder how much of a difference there is between standby and power off for a monitor (where keeping the screen shut-down probably accounts for most of the possible power saving, I would guess??). Still worth reporting it.

Comment

well, from what I can tell, all other statuses than turned off means that the screen is still back lit which means my electricity bill is rising. Now I have a laptop and a 24' connected to it which means two screens that never turn off (unless I manually turn off the external one).

I never logged a bug but I can have a look once minime is sleeping

Thanks for confirming you are having the same problem. Anyone else?

Comment

Working...
              X