X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a good replacement for cups?

Cups will not work for me.
    I need to be able to connect to a windows printer.
    ipp will not suffice.

It use to work in an older version but has not worked in over a month.
    I upgraded to 9.04 from 8.something.
    It broke in 8.something so I decided to upgrade. I did a fresh install of 9.04

I think slackware use to have lprng is there a gui configuration for it?

Re: Is there a good replacement for cups?

Mmm, cups is totally the way to go these days. I doubt any distro would use anything else. Do you remember how it used to work? You say it was not IPP? What protocol were you using?

Comment

Also, if the KDE Priter config tool doesn't help, you can always access cups in a web browser:

http://localhost:631

There is an option to add a windows printer via Samba, would that work?

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.sadowski
        ipp will not suffice.

Of course there is no such thing as a "Windows" printer. So which manufacturer and model? HP, Lexmark, Kodak, Epson? Some printers will not work in Linux due to driver, or driver-like issues. Others work well, but you have to have a specific package such as HPLIP. Yes it is possible to use processes such as lprng, or to even print straight to a device such as lp, and it might work if there is a printer attached that will respond at a very simple and basic level.

Windiness aside, need more info about you have right now.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

JGlen, I thought Jeff referred to a networked printer, attached to a Windows computer, but I could be wrong

Comment

I have my Samsung ML-1210 USB laser printer attached via its USB port to my Linksys WRT54G via its USB port. I had set my printer up to be static at 192.168.1.99 because I set the wireless router up to dispense IP addresses starting at *.100. This avoids the problem of the printer connection breaking if the router gives a different address the next time the printer power us. Initially, I let the printer begin as *.100, waiting for it to connect before I turned my laptop on but, sadly, when I or my wife forgot to turn on the printer and then turn it on afterward, the CUPS printer connection fails. That's when I went to the static address. It doesn't matter when you turn on the printer.

I used to use the IPP connection type when I was using WEP on the wireless router. When I changed to WPA I couldn't connect to the printer with a printer URL starting with "IPP:/". So, I chose the seventh protocol (http) listed right above the (ipp) protocol in the "Device" drop down combo box, on the second page of the setup, following the naming of the printer on the first page. This led to the following setup:

http://192.168.1.99:631/ipp/

and it worked.

There are ELEVEN protocols listed in that drop down combo. One should work.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.sadowski
              ipp will not suffice.

Why do you need something other than CUPS? You can use CUPS to connect to a printer shared via SMB (Windows sharing protocol). I have my Lexmark X7350 setup that way. I have the printer directly connected to a Windows machine since some of it's functions only work with Windows, then I just share the printer from that Windows machine to the rest of my network. I had no issue getting Linux to see the printer with a device URI like "smb://newdesktop/pscolor"

Actually getting to print to the X7350 from Linux was a much bigger challenge since there are no linux drivers for it, but that was a completely different issue.

Comment

Finnally got cups working using the following information

smb://usernameassword@domain/server/printshare

and replace all special characters in username passsword domain server and printshare as follows

http://www.december.com/html/spec/esccodes.html

Character Escape Code
                SPACE %20
                < %3C
                > %3E
                # %23
                % %25
                { %7B
                } %7D
                | %7C
                \ %5C
                ^ %5E