This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

libtool + kdevelop broken since 8.10

libtool released with 9.04 (and 8.10 for that matter) version 2.x doesn't meet the libtool needed by kdevelop. Each time I install a new machine I have to remove the libtool and compile/install the last version combatible 1.5.26. Is it that hard to fix it ?

Re: libtool + kdevelop broken since 8.10

Have you filed a bug report?
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Have you tried Qt-Creator?

A very impressive GUI RAD tool. It's in the repository.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
        Have you filed a bug report?
        https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs
        The bug about that is open since long:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ol/+bug/285841
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...op/+bug/253286

and so on, That's why I'm asking in here how hard can it be, given also the
        fact that someone already found how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          Have you tried Qt-Creator?

A very impressive GUI RAD tool. It's in the repository.
          Isn't that to create application with QT ?

Comment

Since KDE is developed using the Qt toolkit, you can create KDE applications with Qt Creator, it just doesn't have very good CMake support right now. I looked over the bug reports you posted, and it seems several people have found workarounds for the problem, but no one has implemented anything concrete. Personally, I'm a fan of keeping software as vanilla as possible, and not patching the monkey mojo out of everything. Oftentimes, though the person patching the software may be a competent developer, (s)he is not as familiar with the application as its upstream developers, and by fixing one issue, they unknowingly create another, which leads to applications crashing, running slowly, or not running at all; this seems to be too commonly the issue with bugs like the one you're experiencing. Not being an Ubuntu developer, until a fix is implemented, all I can suggest is to either compile libtool as you've been doing, or downgrade to an earlier version as one of the workarounds describes (I would avoid the patching route, for the above reason).
            Asus G1S-X3:
            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

If all else fails, there's always Kate, Vim, and Emacs
              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
                If all else fails, there's always Kate, Vim, and Emacs
                The second of TWO EXCELLENT posts!

Until Qt-Creator was released I had been using Kate every since Qt4.0 was released. At work, on my XP side, I used MSVC++ 6.0 with Qt integration. Kate is FASTER and easier to use. With Kdbg debugging was just as easy and had just as many useful features. I got into the habit of developing on my Linux side and porting the source to XP in order to create the executable for deployment.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I do not use KDevelop to develop KDE applications, just as ide to manage an automake project

Comment

Working...
                  X