X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend Unrar program?

Hi,
    I just finished downloading an MP3 folder that was split into 9 parts as it came from Rapidshare.
    They are all in the RAR format. Could anyone recommend a program that will unrar all nine of them in one go, just by clicking on the first? (As WinRar does).
    I am using Ark right now but it wants to extract folder by folder which is too tedious. Or maybe Ark does this but I am missing something?

Since writing the above I found a package called 'Unrar-free' in KPackageKit. It appeared to install ok but I cannot find it anywhere on my PC. Any ideas?
    Thanks

Re: Recommend Unrar program?

if unrar instaled ok just use ark.

rite click on the first of the rar's usualey .00rar and chose extract hear.

unrar will be used by ark

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

There are two unrar programs in repository, unrar-free and unrar (non-free version), which is much better. I run the second one from Krusader, I didn't try splitted archives, but I hope it can handle them.
      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
        There are two unrar programs in repository, unrar-free and unrar (non-free version), which is much better. I run the second one from Krusader, I didn't try splitted archives, but I hope it can handle them.
        yes sorey I forgot you whant the non free ver.

and yes it dose multy part rar archives just fine I use it all the time

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Sorry guys,
          I uninstalled the free version and installed the non-free one but still no luck.

My method;
          1. Right click on the first file of the set of nine
          2. Choose 'Extract archive here'

A folder is then created but only that first rar file is unpacked into it.

The files are named thus;

LISTEN1.part01.rar
          LISTEN1.part02.rar
          LISTEN1.part03.rar

And go up to 'part09'

Anymore ideas?

Comment

are you shure thars no LISTEN1.part00.rar?

usualy thar is!.....and once in a wile you may get a bad one that dosent work right.....archive that is.

the first file .00 has the unpacking instruckions for the file. extrackting eney of the others will just get you that one part.

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

OOPS you may allso nead the rar package to :P

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Yes, just
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install rar
                should install the package.

Comment

The 'rar' went ok from the terminal but it will still not unrar the entire folder.

Comment

if you can PM me link to the file ....I would like to try it and see what happens

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

OK I finaley got them all DL'd .....LOL

I made a folder named listen1 and put the 9 rar's in it and copey'd it to a drive with enuff room to play

AND you are right ......sorey but right clicking the LISTEN1.part01.rar and chusing eney of the options onley get's you that rar.......verey strang.........this was the case in both dolphin and Konqueror.

now opening a konsole in the dir with the rar's

vinny@Kubuntu:/media/disk/listen1$ ls
                      LISTEN1.part01.rar LISTEN1.part03.rar LISTEN1.part05.rar LISTEN1.part07.rar LISTEN1.part09.rar
                      LISTEN1.part02.rar LISTEN1.part04.rar LISTEN1.part06.rar LISTEN1.part08.rar
                      and doing this

Code:
                      rar x LISTEN1.part01.rar
                      dose work 8)

I have gnome instaled to so I tryed File Roller 2.26.1 by rite clicking the LISTEN1.part01.rar file and chosing open with and file roller did it fine to.

so I restarted the box in GDM and gnome and simpley rite clicking the LISTEN1.part01.rar and cliking extract hear worked fine.

so somthing's rong with how ARK is working with RAR...............I gess.

I'll see if I can mess with ARK and get it to work but the comand line WILL work.

VINNY

16GB RAM

Comment

I use ark all the time to do this. I did what dibl said, he's the one who told me how to do it. I then double click on the 1st rar and another window opens and you can select where to unrar the files. Usually ARK tries to put it in a folder with the same name as the file name but you can uncheck that option if you want. I also have p7zip and p7zip-rar installed which may help.
                        Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eddieg780
                          I use ark all the time to do this. I did what dibl said, he's the one who told me how to do it. I then double click on the 1st rar and another window opens and you can select where to unrar the files. Usually ARK tries to put it in a folder with the same name as the file name but you can uncheck that option if you want. I also have p7zip and p7zip-rar installed which may help.
                          I do this all the time to................BUT this perticular file is being a pane .........

I instaled p7zip and p7zip-rar and it allso puled in p7zip-full............but still no go on this file with ARK. no mater how you try to extract it ......

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

Will ARK unrar the files individually? I think you said it would. I have had this happen then I would join them together with HJsplit/join. I noticed it happens when I look at the file with-in the rar and it ends with for example .001 then the second file it's .002 and so on. Maybe yours is like that.
                            Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

Thanks for your time and help Vinny.
                              I don't quite understand what to do with the terminal.
                              For the time being I will transfer all the other books to my pendrive and unrar them on a windows machine with Winrar as this did the job on the first book.
                              Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X