This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unwanted desktop switching

KDE has a nasty habit of switching desktops unexpectedly.

I can click on the desired desktop in the bar at the bottom of the screen, then as I move the mouse to the desired area of the new desktop, KDE suddenly switches to a new desktop.

I again select the desired desktop and the above repeats.

The only way I can stop this is to wait a second or two and then slowly move the mouse.

Also, If I am working on one desktop and move the mouse suddenly to another area of the same desktop, KDE will switch to another desktop.

Is this normal??

If not, how do I stop it??

Re: unwanted desktop switching

If your mouse has a scroll wheel (or pad), rolling it over the Desktop Pager or Desktop itself will cause KDE to "scroll" through your desktops (this is normal). As far as I know, there is not yet a configuration option in KDE 4 that allows this behavior to be disabled, but I'll let you know if I find something.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
      If your mouse has a scroll wheel (or pad), rolling it over the Desktop Pager or Desktop itself will cause KDE to "scroll" through your desktops (this is normal). As far as I know, there is not yet a configuration option in KDE 4 that allows this behavior to be disabled, but I'll let you know if I find something.
      Thanks - so this is "normal". Just tried to get the desktop to switch on purpose - seemed to happen randomly. Ahh - now I see. With the nouse on the Desktop Pager, rolling the wheel gets me a different desktop. Unfortunately, my fingers aren't facile enough to keep the switch to just one desktop and they zip by faster than I can see what is happening.

Man it is really irritating - one of those really bright ideas for which the originator should be ...... for putting in and then assuming that everybody will absolutely love having the desktop arbitrarily switched while trying to do something useful. If it was done as a joke I could understand, but not in serious s/w.

Comment

I don't like it either, especially since it's incredibly easy to unintentionally activate with my laptop's scrollpad -- there was a configuration option in KDE 3 that disabled this behavior, but its developer hasn't gotten around to porting to KDE 4.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
        X