This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple Trailers?

When I try to watch a trailers on apple.com firefox will try to load then just quit. Any body have different story/luck/ideas? Is the VLC pluggin better?

Firefox 3.5
    Mplayer Mozilla Pluggin
    Kde 4.2.4

ps. When I use SMPlayer to watch video files it will sometimes tell me that it needs a newer version than 1.0RC2. Does this relate at all?

Re: Apple Trailers?

Wow! This _used_ to work! I tried on my eeepc running jaunty + smplayer and these trailers crash firefox. On my 64 bit desktop, vlc 1.0 would not play them (there was a pop-up saying that I need to install the latest QuickTime plug in, LOL). Then, on the desktop, I tried uninstalling vlc-plugin and installing mplayer-plugin, that didn't help. Then I found some posts in Ubuntuforums, one recommending the w32codecs (I have the w64codecs), another to install the gstreamer-ugly plugins, I also did that. Nada. What gives?

Now I hate apple a bit more

Comment

strange I'm watching the transformers one now .......the plugin is

Totem Browser Plugin 2.26.1
      Browser Plugin using GStreamer 0.10.22

on firefox 3.0.11

and it's working fine :P

but I have all of gnome installed to so

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
        strange I'm watching the transformers one now .......the plugin is

Totem Browser Plugin 2.26.1
        Browser Plugin using GStreamer 0.10.22
        Great!

on firefox 3.0.11
        Awesome!

and it's working fine :P
        Yahooooo!!!!!!!!!

but I have all of gnome installed to so
        CRIMINAL!
        LOL

I'll give it a shot unless it really forces me to install to much "stuff"

Thanks a lot for stopping bye!
        Leo

Comment

when I installed the gnome desktop it was 800+ packages LOL

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yeah, I must be missing something. I installed the Totem plugin for Mozilla, and no charm. I then went to an internet-tv webpage, and the totem player recommended to install some codecs. I said yes, but it only makes the internet tv page wrok (very badly), and it is not working with the apple trailers.

I give up, all the video I watch is Flash these days. Thanks a lot for the help! I will undo all these installations ...

Comment

Originally posted by wrender
              When I try to watch a trailers on apple.com firefox will try to load then just quit. Any body have different story/luck/ideas? Is the VLC pluggin better?

Firefox 3.5
              Mplayer Mozilla Pluggin
              Kde 4.2.4

ps. When I use SMPlayer to watch video files it will sometimes tell me that it needs a newer version than 1.0RC2. Does this relate at all?
              gxine works for OpenSuse10.1-11.1. Not sure if it does in (K)ubuntu.

Comment

My grandson told me about Apple's 12 minute advert on their iPhone 3gs so I tried to play it on FF. It said I needed the Apple quick time. So, I downloaded the zip file, unzipped it into a *.mov file, and played it with VLC.

I got VLC by following the multimedia instructions on medibuntu.org.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It is always a guess if it is going to work. Usually Apple changes something then Linux catches up so it works.......then Linux breaks something. Its a vicious cycle. Amusing to see what happens with every release.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                    My grandson told me about Apple's 12 minute advert on their iPhone 3gs so I tried to play it on FF. It said I needed the Apple quick time. So, I downloaded the zip file, unzipped it into a *.mov file, and played it with VLC.

I got VLC by following the multimedia instructions on medibuntu.org.
                    Yes, VLC does play pretty much everything, at least locally. I think it is the HTML video embedding that is causing the problem. Even though it is not working for me, it does look very different (the container) than it used to. I thinkl it's Apple trying to lock out whoever doesn't use exactly _their_ software. That's why I have never used an Ipod/Iphone. I'll get a Googl Phone though if I can.

Comment

I have the same problem firefox 3.5 mplayer plugin won't play apple.com trailers.

So I tried Konqueror and it played the trailers.

Comment

I had no luck with Konqueror, but I am not sure I tried that combination (Konqueror + mplayer plugin).

Also, I was shocked to find out there is no official (supported) multimedia plugin for Konqueror in ubuntu ... am I right? I think it used to be the kaffeine plugin?

Comment

I have Kmplayer plugin for konqueror which works. I have never used Kaffeine

Comment

Originally posted by GilGib
                            I have Kmplayer plugin for konqueror which works. I have never used Kaffeine
                            You mean it works with the apple trailers? Does it work with Mozilla? (I used to use kmplayer myself before switching to vlc, which is great standalone but so so as a browser plugin)

Comment

How do you setup install that Kmplayer and pluggin. Do I have to uninstall the mplayer mozilla pluggin or can they co exist?

Is the kmplayer pluggin only for konqueror or does it work for firefox as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X