This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

powerdevil Kubuntu 9.04 & KDE4.x

I set all power schemes to power down my laptop when I hit the power button but when I hit the power button nothing happens. When I click on KDE menu leave, it dumps me to the login screen, where I have to click the menu there and then tell it to shutdown. About half of the time it then just hangs on "will now shutdown" but doesn't I have to hold the power button to make it shutdown. Lotsa work when I used to just push the power button and wait a few seconds for it to go off with Suse 10.1-11.1.

Using a Dell Inspiron E1505.

Is this normal behaviour or is there something I can do to make this work as I want it to?

Re: powerdevil Kubuntu 9.04 & KDE4.x

This is not normal, I think. I would probably try Kpowersave and see if it helps. Also, on Logout: you should see an option to logout in the K Menu, but also an option to Shutdown, and one to Restart. Do these work?

Comment

The normal behavior in using the power button to recycle Kubuntu is to hold it for several seconds ( I've forgotten exactly how many).

Use the Systemsettings --> Advanced tab --> Service Manager option to see if PowerDevil is running. It it is not, start it.

If you change the Power Management settings using the Power Management icon on the same tab, try turning the PowerDevil deamon off and then back on to re-read the config file you've just changed.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
        This is not normal, I think. I would probably try Kpowersave and see if it helps. Also, on Logout: you should see an option to logout in the K Menu, but also an option to Shutdown, and one to Restart. Do these work?
        Yes, I have those options and they work.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          The normal behavior in using the power button to recycle Kubuntu is to hold it for several seconds ( I've forgotten exactly how many).

Use the Systemsettings --> Advanced tab --> Service Manager option to see if PowerDevil is running. It it is not, start it.

If you change the Power Management settings using the Power Management icon on the same tab, try turning the PowerDevil deamon off and then back on to re-read the config file you've just changed.
          Yup, it's running. Tried the stop/restart. No change. Reboot no change.

There's always been the hold the power button for 3-8 seconds depending on the system to cause a kinda hard shutdown, but I'm talking about just a momentary press not a press and hold that I'm used to doing to get it to shutdown.

Comment

On my eee (Kubuntu 8.04), a short touch of the power button used to bring up a "logout" sort of popup from where you could choose shut-down, restart, logout with a mouse click. I am running 9.04 now, I can check later today whether it still works that way. But otherwise, clicking the K menu and then shutdown is really 2 clicks away. The other option is one button touch and one click, I am not sure how much better it is. I think there is a plasmoid (widget), too, to shutdown/logout easily.

Comment

I use suspend to RAM (S2RAM) on my desktop, using kpowersave, and it works very well. I dunno if that would meet your needs for the lappie. One right click and one left click and it goes to sleep immediately.

Comment

Kinda want it off. I'm generally done when I power it down.

Comment

S2RAM = Off. The only difference from a normal shutdown is, the image of the running system is preserved so when you power on, it "resumes", rather than boots.

However, you do need a substantial amount of RAM for it to work -- basically the entire running system including all processes has to fit into RAM. I have 4GB, but I would think 2GB is sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    S2RAM = Off. The only difference from a normal shutdown is, the image of the running system is preserved so when you power on, it "resumes", rather than boots.

However, you do need a substantial amount of RAM for it to work -- basically the entire running system including all processes has to fit into RAM. I have 4GB, but I would think 2GB is sufficient.
                    Kind of, but not quite. Power off means no power consumption. S2RAM is hardware dependent. The first generation eee pc's were infamously wasteful in suspend mode, they would basically frain your batteries overnight. Yes!

Comment

Right -- you can't pull out the batteries or pull the plug out of the wall -- there needs to be enough power to keep RAM up. But it's not much -- any laptop could do it overnight, for example, if the batteries aren't absolutely dead.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

Only running 1GB of RAM. May not work. And what if it's suspended for days and the battery dies?

Comment

are you running any boot switches? Like no acpi? I believe that will cause the power functions to not work correctly. I'm going from memory though, I haven't had to use any boot commands for a while.

mm0
                          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Re: powerdevil Kubuntu 9.04 &amp; KDE4.x

Originally posted by gothmaniac
                            I set all power schemes to power down my laptop when I hit the power button but when I hit the power button nothing happens. When I click on KDE menu leave, it dumps me to the login screen, where I have to click the menu there and then tell it to shutdown. About half of the time it then just hangs on "will now shutdown" but doesn't I have to hold the power button to make it shutdown. Lotsa work when I used to just push the power button and wait a few seconds for it to go off with Suse 10.1-11.1.

Using a Dell Inspiron E1505.

Is this normal behaviour or is there something I can do to make this work as I want it to?

i too hv similar shutdown problems. i have a compaq cq40 laptop. sometimes shutdown doesnt seem to work. u have to poweroff (press the button ) for it to shutoff.

i have kshutdown. but its a shame users have to go thru so much difficulty just to shutdown. very embarassing.

Comment

Re: powerdevil Kubuntu 9.04 &amp; KDE4.x

Originally posted by marcopl
                              i too hv similar shutdown problems. i have a compaq cq40 laptop. sometimes shutdown doesnt seem to work. u have to poweroff (press the button ) for it to shutoff.

i have kshutdown. but its a shame users have to go thru so much difficulty just to shutdown. very embarassing.
                              I think it's two separate issues. Some times a bug in some component prevents clean shut down. That could be a drive not unmounting clean, a driver hanging, etc. These things should be reported in Launchpad and fixed.

The other issue is having a one-button way to shutodown, even if not by default, but to be able to configure that. This is Gothmaniac's main goal I think. These little things are annoying, and I hope we find a way. Otherwise, this can be filed as a bug report in Launchpad. This is how things get fixed

FWIW, I did try on my eee 701 running Jaunty, and it certainly worked as I advertised: hitting the power button briefly _does_ pop up the "logout" window with an option to shutdown.

One more thought: I think it is wise of the developers to prevent accidental shutoff by mistake (with associated potential data loss on open documents, oand/r the penalty of a minute or two restart, etc). Of course, one should be able to configure things otherwise if desired

Comment

Working...
                              X