Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there truely no root account with Kubuntu 9.04?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there truely no root account with Kubuntu 9.04?

It works well on my laptop for internet, which is why I tried it but it has a lot of bugs for general stuff I'm used to in Suse Linux. If there's no root account I'm moving on to something more secure.

Please let me know.

Re: Is there truely no root account with Kubuntu 9.04?

There is of course a root account.

Kmenu > System Settings > Advanced > Login Manager > Users (6)

will show you the accounts including your username and root.

Using a terminal you can use 'sudo' to prefix commands such as
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install [packagename]
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Found it there, but how do I set/change a password for root?

Comment

You've probably migrated from a distro that has a separate root account to which you must log in to do admin work. So did I.

It took a little getting used to but I have adjusted to the U/Kbuntu was of doing admin work. The FIRST account created is considered the administrator account. The password for the FIRST account is also the "root" account password. That account is, if I understand the paradigm correctly, the only account with sudo access. In Kubuntu access to a root Konsole isn't usually necessary (although it can be very convenient at time) because all of the admin work is usually done via the SystemSettings application, which is at K --> System --> SystemSettings and has a crossed wrench and screwdriver icon. DON'T confuse that icon with the indentical icon for the K --> Settings icon, which leads to admin tasks which aren't apart of KDE4, yet.

If you want to open a root console where you can enter a series of root commands without using sudo you can create that environment by
        1) Opening a Konsole
        2) Issuing "sudo su -" in the Konsole.

The prompt which usually shows your name in it will be replaced by one which begins with "root". This is handy for applications which create "users" for administration purposes, such as PostgreSQL, which creates the user "postgres", but with a random password. You cannot "su postgres" because you do not know the password. However, root can su to any account without entering a password. So, one does "sudo su -" and then "su postgres" to enter the postgres account in order to run psql and do PostgreSQL admin work (IF one doesn't use pgAdmin3).

While one can modify Kubuntu to have a traditional root account, I've come to the conclusion that it is not necessary.

My main concern was the security aspect. Since remote access to root is not enabled by default the only way to get into the root account or do admin work is via the first account. If you can't protect it the odds are you can't protect root, either.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ok. Found that the sudo thing works, but how is that secure? If someone hacks my personal account they have root access. I don't like that. Is there any other way to get a separate root account/password? Or something that's a bit more secure?

Comment

If you use strong passwords then you are just as secure. A cracker is not more likely to guess your user password than they would be your root password.

The RootSudo - Community Ubuntu Documentation article answers all these questions very well.

Edit: Also please note that Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers question #17 links to the the fine FAQ: Root Password article by Rog131.
            Welcome newbies!
            Verify the ISO
            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by gothmaniac
              Ok. Found that the sudo thing works, but how is that secure? If someone hacks my personal account they have root access. I don't like that. Is there any other way to get a separate root account/password? Or something that's a bit more secure?
              Before you do anything hasty, read the following discussion about the pro's and con's of Sudo vs root.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

PLEASE read the ENTIRE article before you do anything or return here to ask questions.

Enabling the root account

IconsPage/IconWarning3.png

Enabling the root account is rarely necessary. Almost everything you need to do as administrator of an Ubuntu system can be done via sudo or gksudo. If you really need a persistent root login, the best alternative is to simulate a root login shell using the following command...

IconsPage/IconWarning3.png

sudo -i

IconsPage/dont.png

Logging in to X as root may cause very serious trouble. If you believe you need a root account to perform a certain action, please consult the official support channels first, to make sure there is not a better alternative.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Ok, read all of that. I'll at least stick around until I get rest of it working (or not on my hardware) and see how it goes.

Comment

What's not working on your hardware?

Comment

I think all HW is working, but I'm having difficulties with powerdevil. I told it for all schemes to power down when I hit the power button. When I hit the power button nothing happens. Was going to post this in a more appropriate place but since you asked.

Also, having issues with the seeming inability to have different background images on each of my desktops. (I'm used to this and wanted to keep it but can't seem to find a way with Kubuntu 9.04 and KDE 4.X). This I have posted in a different post.

Comment

I'll respond to your powerdevil question in your post on that topic!

I also answered your "different background" question in post to that question by another user.

Comment

I'll respond to your powerdevil question in your post on that topic!

I've already answered your "different background" question in your post on that topic.

Comment

Thanks and I think I responded to both of those in those posts. Still not fixed on either.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                            You've probably migrated from a distro that has a separate root account to which you must log in to do admin work. So did I.

It took a little getting used to but I have adjusted to the U/Kbuntu was of doing admin work. The FIRST account created is considered the administrator account. The password for the FIRST account is also the "root" account password. That account is, if I understand the paradigm correctly, the only account with sudo access. In Kubuntu access to a root Konsole isn't usually necessary (although it can be very convenient at time) because all of the admin work is usually done via the SystemSettings application, which is at K --> System --> SystemSettings and has a crossed wrench and screwdriver icon. DON'T confuse that icon with the indentical icon for the K --> Settings icon, which leads to admin tasks which aren't apart of KDE4, yet.

If you want to open a root console where you can enter a series of root commands without using sudo you can create that environment by
                            1) Opening a Konsole
                            2) Issuing "sudo su -" in the Konsole.

The prompt which usually shows your name in it will be replaced by one which begins with "root". This is handy for applications which create "users" for administration purposes, such as PostgreSQL, which creates the user "postgres", but with a random password. You cannot "su postgres" because you do not know the password. However, root can su to any account without entering a password. So, one does "sudo su -" and then "su postgres" to enter the postgres account in order to run psql and do PostgreSQL admin work (IF one doesn't use pgAdmin3).

While one can modify Kubuntu to have a traditional root account, I've come to the conclusion that it is not necessary.

My main concern was the security aspect. Since remote access to root is not enabled by default the only way to get into the root account or do admin work is via the first account. If you can't protect it the odds are you can't protect root, either.
                            good explanation

Comment

Working...
                            X