This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype 2.0 causing system freeze in Jaunty

I installed Skype using apt-get install skype. Each time I tried to run it there were different problems. First time the screen opened, everything froze. Reboot.
    Second try. I opened contacts and everything froze. Nothing worked. Reboot.
    Third time, at contacts, typed a name and the screen displayed a multicolour changing test pattern.
    Frozen again. Reboot. Next time tried to phone someone. Everything froze.
    Another attempt and the cursor froze for several seconds, moved briefly, froze again.

Most of the other applications run without any problems. Some, like KPackageKit, I avoid as installing or removing a package crashes the system. Is anyone else having problems with Skype 2.0, or does my machine have problems? (I used Skype with Debian Etch and Kubuntu Hardy without any problems on this same machine in 2007.)
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Re: Skype 2.0 causing system freeze in Jaunty

I am running an Intel Quad with 2Gb memory, Kubuntu 9.04 and Skype installed from Medibuntu. I have a Logitech 9000 pro camera and have Pulse audio installed.

I am having a lot of problems as well, however mostly audio. I have Pulse selected in the Skype settings. Skype autostarts (from running in the previous session) and about 90% of the time audio does not work. I try to quit Skype and it stalls. I have to kill the process and restart Skype. If I am running anything else on my machine when I get a Skype call it will work well for several minutes and then audio out will just stop. I have to kill the Skype process and restart it or, on occasion, re-start Kubuntu. I think I'll un-install Pulse and try that.

I had trouble with the camera to start and installed luvcview. Run this from a terminal session and it will give you some output on your camera and allow some tuning of focus and light settings.

I think Skype doesn't care about us Linux types - too bad. It could be a great product with a little work I'm sure.

Good luck.
    An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Comment

I use the Medibuntu.org version of Skype with no problems at all. (Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E/H).

You incremental success problem suggest you are having RAM or VIDEO memory problems -- just a wild guess...
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Medibuntu 2.0.0.72 version on an AMD single core 3800, 1 GB RAM, Logitech 9000 = no problems.

Comment

I was using Medibuntu Skype 2.0.0.72 also but now I'm more uncertain about the cause of the problem.
          Things are starting to look bad - a possible hardware failure.

I remembered several problems in Karmic that I couldn't figure out, were resolved by the removal of wicd, so I tried this in Jaunty. Skype didn't freeze, but the sound mixer has the microphone off and boost, I turned it on and made a successful test call on Skype, did something that froze the system. Rebooted, then tried a real call, realized the microphone had been reset to zero and tried to change that and everything except for the cursor froze. I could point or click but nothing happened. Reboot. I tried to open System Monitor to see what was happening as usually the CPU runs at 1 to 4 % with some short term bursts of 10 or more %. Everything froze before it could open. Never had that happen before.

Reboot. Fschk told me for the first time that I can remember that my root partition had some problem and had been fixed and rebooted in 5 seconds. I waited, choose Jaunty, it opened OK. I re-installed wicd thinking that it couldn't be the culprit.

Now I'm going to make a fresh backup and think seriously about replacing Karmic with Intrepid and see how it compares to Jaunty. I can't remember any problems like this with Intrepid, so if I get the same thing, it will have to be the hardware. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that the three year international warranty ran out in June 2009?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Comment

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that the three year international warranty ran out in June 2009?
            Isn't that the way the cookie always crumbles?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I''ve been considering all of the possible causes, thinking maybe Kmix - the microphone seems to be off by default and no matter what I set it at, on reboot it's off again.

Finally, I looked at desktop effects, turned them off and tried again (Skype) - I made a couple of test calls - no problems once I got the microphone boost and capture figured out. It must be my ATI video card or the xorg driver combination that is causing the system freezes. I used my box today for well over 12 hours, and I don't just mean I had it turned on for twelve hours - its a notebook, downloaded a few hunded MB, burned a CD image, did lots of e-mail and getting latest information from a few sites - no problems.

I won't say it solved yet, but it's looking much better.

Comment

I have Skype working with a Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision. I have installed skype-static, skype-common and skytools. With the Logitech microphone, there is a click every few seconds when I use the Echo / Sound Test. I resolved this by getting a microphone and plugging it into an old Ghetto-blaster and used the phone output line as input to my laptop mic input.

The main frustration that I have is that when I start Skype, I have to often redefine my mic, speakers and video. Many times it chooses my laptop web-cam and my Logitech speaker for a mic . Other than that, I find it works better than the windows version and now use Skype 2.0 all the time.

I hope the above is of some use for those wanting to get it working.

NoWorries

Comment

Working...
                X