Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Download entire email folders from IMAP/POP server.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download entire email folders from IMAP/POP server.

I want to download entire email folders from an IMAP or POP server. My email account closes tomorrow, so I want to make sure all my old emails, including attachments, are saved and accessible.

Thunderbird is my regular mail client. I know it can save email for offline use, but I don't trust it to work properly in this case, since the computer will go online but be unable to login.

Since the account closes tomorrow, there are no second chances if it goes wrong. Does anyone know how to do this?
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Re: Download entire email folders from IMAP/POP server.

I couldn't find anything helpful yet.

It might be best to go to your e-mail account on the web and look at their instructions for downloading mail by IMAP or POP and see if it is possible. I think that Gmail, Yahoo and perhaps Hotmail have instructions somewhere under their Options > Downloading & POP. If it is possible they should tell you how to do it.
    It may not be possible, as most people only want to download the 'new' mail that arrives.
    What you are describing is something most people would only want to do maybe once.
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

I will have to agree. In Gmail there is an option that you can choose that says: start downloading emails from now on. Whatever your ISP POP server is I am sure if you go to settings you will find something like that on the POP settings. Uncheck it or check the one you need. Good luck.

Pookito
      You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
      Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
      Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

If there is a way in your online email to mark all messages as unread, then thunderbird should download all of them at the next login.

Comment

Well, Did it go? where you able to download what you need it? Let us know.
          You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
          Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
          Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

Working...
          X