This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.3 RC2 in Kubuntu 9.04?

I just noticed after having visited the KDE website that KDE version 4.3 RC2 had been released.

I'm already running RC1 -- 'kde4-config --version' :

Code:
    Qt: 4.5.1
    KDE: 4.2.95 (KDE 4.2.95 (KDE 4.3 RC1))
    kde4-config: 1.0
    After a 'sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade' apt-get reported that no new packages had been installed.

Has KDE 4.3 RC2 not hit the kubuntu-backports ( deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu jaunty main ) repo yet, or is something wrong with my system configuration?

I would love to upgrade to RC2 as Plasma is running at almost 100% CPU usage 100% of the time.

Thanks,

jdb2

Re: KDE 4.3 RC2 in Kubuntu 9.04?

No, I just refreshed the sources and my version is the same as yours, so it's not in the Ubuntu repos yet.

But, I'm wondering about your plasma-desktop issue -- sounds like a video driver problem -- is it an Intel GPU? Because a version upgrade of KDE doesn't necessarily mean a new Intel driver ....

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      No, I just refreshed the sources and my version is the same as yours, so it's not in the Ubuntu repos yet.
      Thanks for the confirmation.

But, I'm wondering about your plasma-desktop issue -- sounds like a video driver problem -- is it an Intel GPU? Because a version upgrade of KDE doesn't necessarily mean a new Intel driver ....
      Actually I have a crappy old Nvidia 7800GS ( OC -- BFG Tech. -- soon to be replaced ) with the 185.18 drivers installed.

jdb2

Comment

OK. Well, 185.18.14 is the right driver for the 7000 series, so I guess that's as good as it gets.

Did you use nvidia-xconfig to write the xorg.conf file?

You could (at some risk) enable overclocking on the nVidia card, if you haven't already. Of course, that could possibly hasten its demise .....

Comment

Quote:
          KDE 4.3 RC 2 Available
          Submitted on Sat, 2009-07-11

The second release candidate is out from KDE for the upcoming 4.3.

Users of the Karmic development release can upgrade to the latest packages.

Users of our stable 9.04 release will be able to install it from the Kubuntu Backports PPA, but packaging is still in progress.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Heh -- before I saw Fintan's post, I ran dist-upgrade and VOILA! here is KDE 4.3 RC2. It crashed my X session as soon as it started installing -- if I had known it was coming, I would have shut down X before I ran dist-upgrade.

Anyway, it took over 5 minutes on a broadband connection to finish the downloads, and then I restarted the X server and it looks just fine so far. My plasma/desktop came up as I had previously left it, and Compiz still works correctly, and the panel is still configured as I left it, so I think I'm happy.

Comment

Yeah, it came here as well. upgrading now
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I just upgraded. After X crashed ( as predicted on the Kubuntu home page ) I rebooted into recovery mode, dropped to a netroot session, did a 'dpkg --configure -a' , reinstalled ksystemlog ( apparently the crash screwed it up pretty badly ) and did an 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade' after which all the updates were installed.

I'm happy to say that RC2 seems to have fixed the problem with Plasma hogging upwards of 85% of the CPU -- now it rarely gets above 5% .

jdb2

Comment

Here's what mine looks like:

[img width=400 height=300]http://www.kubuntuforums.net/mkportal/modules/gallery/album/a_250.png[/img]

Comment

I just did the upgrade to RC2 from RC1 and my x crashed as well. I waited until there was no more hard drive activity, it took about 2 minutes for that to happen, then I restarted my computer with the power button. However, it went to the login screen and when I put my password in it went right back to the login screen and just kept looping. I thought I was screwed but then I restarted my computer with the power button again and chose recovery mode and when the screen came up for recovery options I chose dpkg something like that and it went through it's thing and said there were no upgrades but then asked me if I wanted to upgrade, go figure, anyway I typed Y and it did what looked like a total upgrade then said there were 11 packages to uninstall but I chose N because I didn't know what it wanted to take out. When it finished I restarted and it booted normal and I have RC2 now. Was there a better way to do this?
                    Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X