X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck on the login screen

Hi,
    Today morning when I was working on 9.04, there was a momentary power outage after power returned, I booted the system. Now when I enter my password on the login screen the screen goes black for a couple of seconds and then returned the login screen and this kept repeating no matter how many times I try. Please help me set it right.

Re: Stuck on the login screen

it could be Kubuntu unable to read your home directory, disk problems in general. Can you boot in rescue mode and run the option to check the disks? Do you have /home in a separate partition?

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
      it could be Kubuntu unable to read your home directory, disk problems in general. Can you boot in rescue mode and run the option to check the disks? Do you have /home in a separate partition?
      its all in one / partition. the hard disk looks good.

Comment

Could be a problem with your .Xauthority file

When you get to the login screen, on the menu choose console login.
        Login and check the status of your .Xauthority file:

Code:
        ls -al .Xauthority
        It should look something like:

Code:
        -rw------- 1 yourusername yourusername 321 2009-07-10 12:14 .Xauthority
        If it doesn't look like that, please post what it is.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Brilliant idea, there is also a failsafe option yiou could try. Just knowing whether they work would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by rccloud
            Hi,
            Today morning when I was working on 9.04, there was a momentary power outage after power returned, I booted the system. Now when I enter my password on the login screen the screen goes black for a couple of seconds and then returned the login screen and this kept repeating no matter how many times I try. Please help me set it right.
            when u reboot, press esc at the grub menu and choose one of the recovery options and follow the instructions. this has happened to me a week ago and this method worked.... cant remb specifics though...

Comment

Working...
            X