X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.3 RC1 upgrade broken

Hallo!
    A couple of questions with a forespeech.
    I was using happily KDE 4.2.4 upgraded via backport and switched (via the GUI) to 4.3 RC1. + other upgrades from the backport repository. Unfortunately, all went wrong :
    1) the icons are not fully at their place
    2) once rebooted, plasma is not at its place and I get grey and white squares all across (no background)
    3) even the keyboard freezes at some point and I cannot type anything anywhere
    4) even reinstalling jaunty and upgrading from 4.1 did not work either, same problems

now 2 questions
    1) ideas how to fix it? I read somewhere to sudo dpkg -configure -a, I have not tried it yet though, could not manage
    2) is there a way in general that after an upgrade you can switch back?

thanks

matteo

Re: KDE 4.3 RC1 upgrade broken

Well, yes, there is a way to revert. But basically, do you wanna move forward of backward?

Comment

Of course forward...but in fact I was more interested in getting to know the answer to the why does it break??

So, in case...would you post for me your suggestions for the going backward? I promise it will be just small steps before I move forward again!

m

Comment

AH, well, most people here have had issues with this RC and the betas, which is understandable (just look around). Here is what I would do:

* Install Synaptic
        * Install "gdm" and choose it as the default display manager for now.
        * Install icewm or similar minimalist window manager
        * Reboot, and login into a icewm session
        * In synaptic, disable the KDE 4.3 repository
        * Still in snaptic, search for all installed KDE packages, right click on them and choose "reinstall"
        * Reboot, and now KDE4.2.* should be fine

Comment

I am facing the same problem >, broken plasma and keyboard freezes with in first few key strokes (I guess once i change focus from one window to other).

And how will I install anything if keyboard is not working and windows are frozen?

If I boot in command line and remove the backport url from sources list, will apt autoremove all the 4.3 packages (apt-get autoremove)

Comment

I tried to reinstall everything because I wanted to have an updated version vs. the 4.1 shipped with Jaunty. Soç
            1) reinstallin works of course
            2) is there a way to get a specific KDE installation (i.e. 4.2.4 which was working if I remember correctly)?
            3) if I do sudo apt-get dist-upgrade after having added the repository for backport...well I get an X broken, apparently libraries are empty and not even KDM works at the beginning. The X not working is also stated in the kubuntu webpage, but then, how could I download everything BEFORE installing everything? What I would do is as follows: download the packages somehow; reboot in console safe mode; install the packages to see if something works better. In fact, having wireless, i find a bit more difficult to have the wireless connection on. OK OK i might, do not remember how anyway. So I would download in graphics mode and intstall in console.

Does 3 make sense?
            Anybody can help me on 2?
            thanks
            m

Comment

Originally posted by mailkarthi
              I am facing the same problem >, broken plasma and keyboard freezes with in first few key strokes (I guess once i change focus from one window to other).

And how will I install anything if keyboard is not working and windows are frozen?

If I boot in command line and remove the backport url from sources list, will apt autoremove all the 4.3 packages (apt-get autoremove)
              I would boot on rescue mode to a network root console (there is an option). Make sure you have a network. Then remove the backport url from the sources, uninstall all kde packages, and reinstall them. If you uninstall a couple of the kdebase packages everything else will be uninstalled as a dependency. Then you do "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" and you'll have a clean kde desktop.

Autoremove does something else

Comment

Originally posted by Mattange
                I tried to reinstall everything because I wanted to have an updated version vs. the 4.1 shipped with Jaunty. Soç
                1) reinstallin works of course
                2) is there a way to get a specific KDE installation (i.e. 4.2.4 which was working if I remember correctly)?
                3) if I do sudo apt-get dist-upgrade after having added the repository for backport...well I get an X broken, apparently libraries are empty and not even KDM works at the beginning. The X not working is also stated in the kubuntu webpage, but then, how could I download everything BEFORE installing everything? What I would do is as follows: download the packages somehow; reboot in console safe mode; install the packages to see if something works better. In fact, having wireless, i find a bit more difficult to have the wireless connection on. OK OK i might, do not remember how anyway. So I would download in graphics mode and intstall in console.

Does 3 make sense?
                Anybody can help me on 2?
                thanks
                m
                I am not sure you did what I suggested?

For 2., enable this: http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2.4

Comment

Working...
                X