This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] mounting partitions

hi, I have started to use fstab to mount partitions due to the encoding errors of kubuntu, now wanted to try and give it another chance to see if something was fixed but removing the fstab line dont help (i think that was the only thing that I have changed, since hal, is a pain to fix and remember stuff)

with dolphin there are 2 entries labeled "volume (XX)" (XX is the filesystem type) but they dont have the mount option, also noticed that theres no "media:/" protocol anymore

where is that configuration stored? (is not at fstab or mtab)

theres a way to restore the kde4 mount point default configurations?

thanks in advance ^^

Re: mounting partitions

I use Dolphin almost exclusively for mounting partitions on the fly. I just launch it and right click on the icon on the left.

System Settings used to have a "Disks and Filesystems" entry in the Advanced Tab in KDE3, but it's been missing ever since (this is a shame).

For mounting permanently, I am using fstab manually, which works just fine. I am not sure what the encoding errors you refer to are ...

HTH!

Comment

the file name encoding errors is something that dont let you access files and directories when they are readed with the wrong charset

kde4 with hal was using a bad configuration of UTF8 that was impossible to change a couple of months ago (was the reason to use fstab) and I want to check again, but now cant get the partitions mounted by KDE

the problem could be HAL related but gnome dont have the problem, thats why im asking for the location where the storage configuration for HAL is stored or if theres a way to restore the original configuration

Comment

Maybe this will help.

In Dolphin, go to Root on the left, then dev then disk and you should see something like

by-id by-label by-path by-uuid

If you open any of these and hover the mouse over any one, it will show you each partition and the old name such as /dev/sda1, /dev/hdb2, etcetera

The UUID should be helpful, but most of us would probably prefer the simpler hda, hda1, and so on.
        HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Originally posted by kevinc
          Maybe this will help.

In Dolphin, go to Root on the left, then dev then disk and you should see something like

by-id by-label by-path by-uuid

If you open any of these and hover the mouse over any one, it will show you each partition and the old name such as /dev/sda1, /dev/hdb2, etcetera

The UUID should be helpful, but most of us would probably prefer the simpler hda, hda1, and so on.
          thanks but that dont help to deal with HAL, these are the device names and uuid that are easy to find with fsck and blkid

the storage device information is not on /etc/hal , /etc/dbus-1 nor /etc/udev

I repeat, gnome takes device information from somewhere but dont have idea from where

I can use fstab but want to try how is working through HAL, D-BUS and "friends" to leave the old methods

Comment

gnome takes device information from somewhere

I think you mean "KDE takes device information ...." -- this is Kubuntu Forums, right?

Actually, I believe KDE and/or Gnome are merely reporting via GUI what the underlying Linux system has detected, as far as storage media and drives. KDE/KDM and GDM are merely display managers for the X server -- they don't do any hardware detection beyond video cards and mice.

Not an answer, but here are more insights into the nature of the problem:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hal/+bug/153768

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              gnome takes device information from somewhere

I think you mean "KDE takes device information ...." -- this is Kubuntu Forums, right?
              no, gnome takes it, but KDE dont, as i have said before

Actually, I believe KDE and/or Gnome are merely reporting via GUI what the underlying Linux system has detected, as far as storage media and drives. KDE/KDM and GDM are merely display managers for the X server -- they don't do any hardware detection beyond video cards and mice.
              they work with dbus (same for using keyboard, mice and video) but for some reason arent doing the things in the same way on the storage

Not an answer, but here are more insights into the nature of the problem:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hal/+bug/153768
              not much, is not an external drive or ext partition, it worked on the original installation (except for the wrong charset)

i will go back to fstab for now while keep looking for the configuration files or the package(s) that need to be reconfigured

Comment

I think I know why we are on different pages. Hal is used to autodetect removable devices, which are then mounted by the used on the fly. Fstab is for permanent devices. Can you please give very specific info of what you are trying to do?

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                  I think I know why we are on different pages. Hal is used to autodetect removable devices, which are then mounted by the used on the fly. Fstab is for permanent devices. Can you please give very specific info of what you are trying to do?
                  if im not wrong, hal is the hardware abstraction layer, a bunch of configurations to let dbus manage things

fstab is no longer used as default by the *buntu's

gnome-mount works well for the other hard drive partitions (without a single line of them in fstab) so I think that the kde program that does the same as gnome-mount got disabled when used fstab to solve the bad encoding

Comment

Originally posted by stimpyjcat

if im not wrong, hal is the hardware abstraction layer, a bunch of configurations to let dbus manage things
                    Approximately right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_abstraction_layer

Important: HAL mounts removable USB devices and displays them in /etc/mtab

mtab also shows the contents of /etc/fstab there, but with the fsck and dump options all set to "0 0".

This is from Redhat, but the principles remain the same for Debian and *buntu:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ge-basics.html

fstab is no longer used as default by the *buntu's
                    Wrong, AFAIK. /etc/fstab is the only way you have to mount internal hard drives and partitions, and set the fsck options on the filesystems.

gnome-mount works well for the other hard drive partitions
                    gnome-mount is for Gnome desktops.

http://linux.die.net/man/1/gnome-mount

Kubuntu is not a Gnome desktop, it is KDE. I think this confusion is causing problems for you.

Comment

well, finally got the answer mixing solutions from other problems that looked similar (some with nautilus, other with kde and opensuse)

Still dont know why the access was restricted (maybe for using fstab once) but the solution was

sudo polkit-auth --user username --grant org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed

that seems to be the correct way to do the things now ^^

Originally posted by dibl
                      Kubuntu is not a Gnome desktop, it is KDE. I think this confusion is causing problems for you.
                      no Mr. know-it-all you are wrong, if you dont like the gnu tools there are bsd distros with kde too

Comment

Originally posted by stimpyjcat

Still dont know why the access was restricted (maybe for using fstab once) but the solution was

sudo polkit-auth --user username --grant org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed
                        Wow. Thanks for the tip. It is great that we have a policy kit, and it's terrible that we need to remember such a memorable line. Hopefully all this magic will be worked out behind the scenes

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] mounting partitions

I believe you can manage these same settings from System Settings->Advanced->PolicyKit Authorization. I haven't messed with any of the Policy Kit stuff yet myself but I know it's all there.

And you have to use sudo because you are enabling access to something that was previously blocked. Without restricting access to the change, there's no point in restricting access in the first place.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] mounting partitions

Originally posted by tnorris
                            I believe you can manage these same settings from System Settings->Advanced->PolicyKit Authorization. I haven't messed with any of the Policy Kit stuff yet myself but I know it's all there.
                            Yep, that is correct:

[img width=400 height=288]http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3331/policykitscreenie.png[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X