This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Videos run in browser have no sound

Since I upgraded to 9.04, I've noticed that videos, like those from YouTube have no sound. I tried an AVI file I have on the machine and the audio is fine with it. I alos tried removing and reinstalling Firefox 3.0.11 and Adobe Flash, but that didn't help. I even went to the Adobe site that lets you test your installation and it claims that the installation was successful.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any thought on how to fix it?

FWIW, I have another box on which I did a clean installation of 9.04 and it works fine.

Thanks.
    Bill Lugg

Re: Videos run in browser have no sound

A lot of people get fooled by the default setting in Kmix, which has the PCM and Master channels muted, or turned all the way down.

Also, I've recently noticed that ALSA is now controlling the speakers on/off -- if you install and run alsamixergui, scroll to the right and click on the little icons at the top of the "speakers" channels, and see if it makes a difference.

Youtube videos are flash, so you need a working flashplugin-nonfree player.

Comment

Re: Videos run in browser have no sound

Turns out it was much simpler than channels even being muted. The PCM volume was turned down to zero. I turned that up and everything seems to work fine.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, though. I never would have guessed to look there on my own.
      Bill Lugg

Comment

Working...
      X