This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autostart Firestarter

Is there a code that I can run/insert in a start-up file that will tell Firestarter to start when my computer turns on? I always forget to turn the firewall on, which is no good!

Thanks!

Re: Autostart Firestarter

As much as I know Firestarter is no more being maintained. In fact there is a built-in iptables config tool called "ufw" which I activate upon (k)ubuntu installation.You just activate it once from the konsole and it is enabled upon system start-up. Open the konsole and insert this command.

sudo ufw enable

Now you can make sure of its working, with this command

sudo ufw status

For more info about logging, default behaviour etc...

info ufw

And I suggest removal of Firestarter if u don't want to screw up your settings. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by tomopotamus
      Is there a code that I can run/insert in a start-up file that will tell Firestarter to start when my computer turns on? I always forget to turn the firewall on, which is no good!
      You don't need to explicitly start firestarter (it's just a configuration GUI for the built-in netfilter/iptables firewall).

Your firewall rules are loaded and enabled during boot even if you don't start firestarter (the same goes for other firewall utilities as well).

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
        Your firewall rules are loaded and enabled during boot even if you don't start firestarter (the same goes for other firewall utilities as well).
        Unless things have changed since I last used Firestarter, this is not necessarily true when you use NetworkManager to manage your network access. I recall needing to create a script that would run when a network interface was brought up or down on a (wireless) network.

But anyway, I second the recommendation to use ufw. It doesn't have a GUI as far as I know, but it's still reasonably easy to set up and works fine with NetworkManager.

Comment

But anyway, I second the recommendation to use ufw. It doesn't have a GUI as far as I know, but it's still reasonably easy to set up and works fine with NetworkManager.
          Yes, it does -- gufw.

You will need to install it in addition to ufw.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

and if ufw doesnt cut it for u, use shorewall BUT AVOID firestarter. i have used it and very soon u run into a wall.

Comment

Originally posted by marcopl
              i have used it and very soon u run into a wall.
              Isn't that the whole idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_H
                Unless things have changed since I last used Firestarter, this is not necessarily true when you use NetworkManager to manage your network access. I recall needing to create a script that would run when a network interface was brought up or down on a (wireless) network.
                I'll take your word for it, since I haven't used firestarter in years. I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to work like that, but as firestarter doesn't seem to be actively developed anymore, it isn't surprising it might have problems with newer tech (like networkmanager).

Anyway, I concur there are better firewall tools available.

Comment

Working...
                X