This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 3.5

Won't Firefox be updated through kubuntu's automatic updates?
    How can I install Firefox 3.5 in Kubuntu 9.04?
    &lt;Asus K8U-X&gt;&lt;AMD Athlon 64 3000+&gt;&lt;1.5Gb&gt;<br />&lt;NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 256Mb&gt;&lt;HD S-ATA 80Gb&gt;&lt;HD S-ATA 250Gb&gt;<br />Kubuntu 9.04 amd64

Re: Firefox 3.5

Download it from the mozilla site or take the rc from the repositories.

Comment

Thanks, Teunis.
      But, I don't know how to install that tar.bz2.whatever (I didn't find instructions there) and I don't know what is this "rc" I should take from the repositories.
      &lt;Asus K8U-X&gt;&lt;AMD Athlon 64 3000+&gt;&lt;1.5Gb&gt;<br />&lt;NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 256Mb&gt;&lt;HD S-ATA 80Gb&gt;&lt;HD S-ATA 250Gb&gt;<br />Kubuntu 9.04 amd64

Comment

You can install it from the repositories by running

Code:
        sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5
        This will install and it will show in the menus as Preview Browser (or Shiretoko)

Comment

here is a link on how to install firefox 3.5
          http://www.kabatology.com/07/01/a-si...3-5-on-ubuntu/

Comment

Originally posted by GilGib
            here is a link on how to install firefox 3.5
            http://www.kabatology.com/07/01/a-si...3-5-on-ubuntu/
            That's why I love firefox! Completly free, even for the free OS!

Comment

You can also use Synaptic or Adept to install it.
              FF 3.5 is in the repositories.

However, I have issues with at least one function; Setting preferences.
              Comes up as a blank screen.
              Search function also was not working but appears to be fixed now.

Comment

BTHW for those who can't live without tab mix plus (like me) you can get the FF3.5* version here:

http://tmp.garyr.net/dev-builds/tab_...pre.090516.xpi
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I'm quite happy with 3.5 (I'm running it at work on Windows) and as one might expect on install it upgraded 3.0.11.

I would like it to do the same in 'buntu but it doesn't. Installing 3.5 from the repositories creates a side by side install. If I then uninstall 3.0.11 I have no default browser. Simple enough to fix in the kde settings but firefox's main companion (Thunderbird) will not acknowledge the change and links within e-mails don't do anything.

Any pointers please on how I can configure T/Bird to use a different browser as default?

Thanks

ian

Comment

just a guess, but if you go to options:advanced and click on config editor, you should be able to find the program to open links...maybe search for http, or similar...then you can link to the new version of FF.

mm0
                    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                      I'm quite happy with 3.5 (I'm running it at work on Windows) and as one might expect on install it upgraded 3.0.11.

I would like it to do the same in 'buntu but it doesn't. Installing 3.5 from the repositories creates a side by side install. If I then uninstall 3.0.11 I have no default browser. Simple enough to fix in the kde settings but firefox's main companion (Thunderbird) will not acknowledge the change and links within e-mails don't do anything.

Any pointers please on how I can configure T/Bird to use a different browser as default?

Thanks

ian
                      A quick jaunt on Google found this: http://www.kitchenlab.org/www/bmah/N...underbird.html One of those tricks allows you to custom specify where Thunderbird finds the web browser. Hope that helps.

Comment

The only problem I am having with ff3.5 (for now) is that when writing text (like here) even though chek spelling is on it won't give spelling propositions on right clicking a word.
                        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Okay, here's how I have done it as I really couldn't fathom out the intricacies of the thunderbird settings

Download the tar.gz file from Mozilla, extract it (of course).

Uninstall 3.0.11

Copied the folder (called firefox) into the /usr/lib directory

Reassign icon targets and kde default to /usr/lib/firefox/firefox.

Done!

Thanks for the tips. Hopes this adds something.

Casual readers should note however that because I am no longer using a ubuntu deb file there is no auto-upgrade so as soon as I hear that 3.5 becomes 'buntu default I'll go back.

Comment

So, Firefox 3.5 is not going to be available - soon - in automatic updates? Many days have passed since f 3.5 final edition was introduced...

Comment

Just to update......

Don't do what I did as when I booted up last night firefox went flaky on me, buggering up my bookmarks for one thing, so I removed all vestiges of it and have gone back to 3.0.11.

One further point: My bank (NatWest) has 3.5 (Linux) as an unsupported browser, whereas it's quite happy with the windows version. Given that even the user agent switcher extension won't install for 3.5 it means it's currently unusable for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X