X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaunty Freezing

Hi all,
    I'm running Kubuntu 9.04 on my laptop. Its been fine for the past few months.
    Yesterday, the following happened:

1. I was copying data from my laptop to my external USB drive.
    2. Suddenly, the whole system froze so I had to switch it off and on again.
    Plugged in the USB, same thing happened again.
    3. After rebooting, it was back to the default oxygen theme and screen
    resolution, desktop display etc. No idea why, so made all the changes again.
    4. Since then, the laptop randomly just freezes. I have no idea why. I'm not a
    linux guru at all. I tried checking log files, and not sure if its the right
    one, but I checked the kern.log file.
    I don't know if this is the matter but I found this - Marking TSC unstable due
    to TSC halts in idle
    I tried the solution found here - http://bwyan.dk/?p=374 - but it still hangs.

Prior to this, another error I found in the log file was EXT4-fs warning:
    maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended"

I booted using a live cd and did fsck. Whether that worked or not I really
    don't know.

Anyhow, this is happening every few minutes for some reason. I think its
    something to do with my external USB drive whilst data was being transferred?

I had a few kernels installed - 2.29, 2.28 - tried them all but the same problem!

ANY help / advice would be greatly appreciated. If you need me to post any
    logs or outputs, just let me know what to type.
    As I said, I know basically nothing about linux so please be as kind and patient
    as possible.

Thank you!

Re: Jaunty Freezing

I think it's more likely that your computer freeze for some other reason, and it happened to be connected.

Maybe your harddrive is full? Can you please run "df -h" in a terminal and report back? Another thing to try is "sudo tail -f /var/log/messages", keep that running in a terminal and see if there is anything fishy. You may see some significant info before the next crash.

You may want to install someting like icewm (a light window manager) and login into a session in that, and see if it freezes. If it doesn't, we know it's something in KDE.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
      I think it's more likely that your computer freeze for some other reason, and it happened to be connected.

Maybe your harddrive is full? Can you please run "df -h" in a terminal and report back? Another thing to try is "sudo tail -f /var/log/messages", keep that running in a terminal and see if there is anything fishy. You may see some significant info before the next crash.

You may want to install someting like icewm (a light window manager) and login into a session in that, and see if it freezes. If it doesn't, we know it's something in KDE.

Good luck!
      Hi, thanks for replying!
      No, my HDD is not full really; I've checked that. I was downloading some large torrents, but put that on hold currently. Below is an output of df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
      /dev/sda1 6.9G 3.8G 2.8G 58% /
      tmpfs 1007M 0 1007M 0% /lib/init/rw
      varrun 1007M 96K 1007M 1% /var/run
      varlock 1007M 0 1007M 0% /var/lock
      udev 1007M 160K 1007M 1% /dev
      tmpfs 1007M 356K 1007M 1% /dev/shm
      /dev/sda3 20G 14G 4.8G 75% /home
      /dev/sda7 1.1G 34M 949M 4% /tmp
      /dev/sda8 15G 3.7G 10G 27% /media/sda8
      /dev/sda6 10G 7.4G 2.1G 79% /media/sda6
      /dev/sda5 20G 8.0G 11G 43% /media/sda5

I'm also running the sudo tail command you mentioned. Will keep the window on that and see how it goes. I just saw some other posts saying that computers hang if wireless is on. I've just disabled mine (I think! How can I double check - Network Management doesn't show any wired or wireless connections ever).

If it doesn't will try with Icewm. I did boot from a livecd and that worked fine, I even downloaded Kubuntu again in case I need to reinstall it
      Quick question on that - if I download Kubuntu from the website, will it include the latest kernel? Couldn't find that mentioned.

Anyhow, hopefully this will work. But if you have any other tips/suggestions please let me know.
      Thanks!

Comment

you know, probably better than a full reinstall: in case there was the off hardware failure at some point that got a binary file screwed: yuu can select a number og packages in synaptic, say all the KDE packages that are currently installed (just sort the list by "installed"), and right click on them and reinstall.

Lice CD: it will have the original kernel/software. If they update the CD they name it appropriately: 9.04.1

Wireless: you mean you don't get a wired/wireless connection at all? Works flawlessly in my eeepc.

Besides monitoring, next time it freezes, you can edit that file after the next reboot, look for the exact time the latest (post-crash) reboot started, and see the last log entries before the freeze. That could be illuminating.

What graphics do you have? "[Alt][F2]konsole" and

Code:
        sudo lshw |grep -i graphics

Comment

Thanks for the help and tips!
          Was going to wait until later to report, but everything seems fine now; has been since my last post (about 7 hours now).
          I think it was because wireless was enabled (but I'm not using wireless) as other posts mentioned.

I have an NVidea graphics card, but the command you gave me doesn't mention anything - there's no output for some reason.

My next quest will be to see if there's a work around for the wireless problem; never know when I'll need it!

Thanks again!

Comment

It's a pleasure to help greatful folks, you'd be surprise how many people take for granted your time when they get help (I am an incredibly busy grownup )

You can Check KMenu -> System -> Hardware Drivers. It looks like your wifi is not supported by open source drivers, but you might find binary only drivers there ... if there is an Nvidia driver there, careful: binary display drivers give better 3D accel, but are a lot more unstable and difficult to fix ...

Comment

I know what you mean! Unfortunately I can't really help people with Linux, but do what I can, where I can.

I forgot to mention some of the outputs from tail. I just saw it, and there are also some after I ran the command for the graphic card query.

shahveer@shah:~$ sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
              Jul 4 13:50:09 shah -- MARK --
              Jul 4 14:10:09 shah -- MARK --
              Jul 4 14:30:09 shah -- MARK --
              Jul 4 14:50:09 shah -- MARK --
              Jul 4 15:10:09 shah -- MARK --
              Jul 4 15:11:28 shah kernel: [20497.880009] possible SYN flooding on port 6881. Sending cookies.
              Jul 4 15:12:28 shah kernel: [20557.972005] possible SYN flooding on port 6881. Sending cookies.
              Jul 4 15:14:21 shah kernel: [20671.089660] possible SYN flooding on port 6881. Sending cookies.
              Jul 4 15:29:04 shah kernel: [21553.913215] eth0: link down
              Jul 4 15:29:16 shah kernel: [21566.641847] eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
              Jul 4 15:50:09 shah -- MARK --
              Jul 4 16:10:09 shah -- MARK --
              Jul 4 16:30:09 shah -- MARK --
              Jul 4 16:50:09 shah -- MARK --
              Jul 4 17:10:09 shah -- MARK --
              Jul 4 17:30:09 shah -- MARK --
              Jul 4 17:50:09 shah -- MARK --
              Jul 4 18:10:09 shah -- MARK --
              Jul 4 18:30:09 shah -- MARK --
              Jul 4 18:50:09 shah -- MARK --
              Jul 4 19:09:15 shah kernel: [34764.872015] pcmcia: Detected deprecated PCMCIA ioctl usage from process: lshw.
              Jul 4 19:09:15 shah kernel: [34764.872015] pcmcia: This interface will soon be removed from the kernel; please expect breakage unless you upgrade to new tools.
              Jul 4 19:09:15 shah kernel: [34764.872015] pcmcia: see http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/util...ia/pcmcia.html for details.
              Jul 4 19:09:16 shah kernel: [34765.636015] hda-intel: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card #0. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj.

I love that its all working right now, but I need to be sure about the future lol. Should I be concerned or do anything? Am going to check the website mentioned above now.

Comment

mmm ... do you have a fresh install or a Kubuntu upgrade? Maybe you have an older pcmcia tool running. Do you need pcmcia? If now, you can install sysv-rc-conf, run "sudo sysv-rc-conf" and make sure it is not started at boot time ...

Comment

Its a fresh install of 9.04; no other OS or distro on my HDD.

No, I don't use the pcmcia slot at all so shall try what you said.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                  X