Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So... What happened to mobile broadband support?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... What happened to mobile broadband support?

I have a Option icon 225 stick which worked flawless out of the box when I first installed kubuntu using the default plasmoid Network Management. Just plop the stick in and enter some pincodes and stuff. However somewhere along the way it stopped working. The plasmoid that is, the mobile broadband still works using other network managers. Anyway I have the ppa kde repositories enabled so kde is updated. Whenever I plug in the icon 225 networkmanager tells me "Network interface ttyHSO0 attached". But the plasmoid doesn't show any connections and the "mobile broadband" tab under settings is grayed out.

Code:
    Jul 3 18:47:10 foobar nm-system-settings:  SCPlugin-Ifupdown: device added (udi: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_af0_6971_Serial_Number_if0_serial_unknown_1, iface: (null)): iface not found
    Jul 3 18:47:10 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS1): found serial port (udev:GSM hal:GSM)
    Jul 3 18:47:10 foobar nm-system-settings:  SCPlugin-Ifupdown: device added (udi: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_af0_6971_Serial_Number_if0_serial_unknown_0, iface: (null)): iface not found
    Jul 3 18:47:10 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS0): found serial port (udev:GSM hal:GSM)
    Jul 3 18:47:10 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS0): new Modem device (driver: 'hso')
    Jul 3 18:47:10 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS0): exported as /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_af0_6971_Serial_Number_if0_serial_unknown_0
    Jul 3 18:47:15 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS0): device state change: 1 -> 2
    Jul 3 18:47:15 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS0): deactivating device (reason: 2).
    Jul 3 18:47:15 foobar NetworkManager: <info> Policy set 'Auto eth0' (eth0) as default for routing and DNS.
    Jul 3 18:47:15 foobar NetworkManager: nm_system_device_flush_ip4_routes_with_iface: assertion `iface_idx >= 0' failed
    Jul 3 18:47:15 foobar NetworkManager: nm_system_device_flush_ip4_addresses_with_iface: assertion `iface_idx >= 0' failed
    Jul 3 18:47:15 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS0): device state change: 2 -> 3
    Jul 3 18:47:18 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS2): ignoring due to lack of mobile broadband capabilties
    As you can see the networkmanager daemon seem to work pretty fine. And everything is working as it should using knetworkmanager so the problem has to lie within the Network Management plasmoid. I've already tried to go back to an older version of it but that didn't correct anything...

Has anyone experienced the same thing? I really like Network Management and it would be so damn cool if the mobile broadband could work again (Preferably with a nice icon aswell).

Re: So... What happened to mobile broadband support?

Hello,
    did you get your issue solved?

I want to get a usb stick modem (Huawei e160, option icon 451 or modem e180v) for my little toshiba and my friends hp notebooks both running JJ kde4.2.X
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

This isn't a 100% perfect answer, as it won't get you any nice icons or anything like that , but I got my Thinkpad's internal mobile broadband card working using the instructions here http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ericss...oadband_Module

I think you should be able to modify these instructions to get things working, as the internal 3G modem on Thinkpads similarly shows up as ttyACM[number] in the /dev/ folder

Comment

fintan, you could also use wvdial.

i have posted something at
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3104766.0

Wvdial has ALWAYS worked, across a few distros ...even when the distro's gui equivalents went dead...

Comment

Originally posted by Rizado
          I have a Option icon 225 stick which worked flawless out of the box when I first installed kubuntu using the default plasmoid Network Management. Just plop the stick in and enter some pincodes and stuff. However somewhere along the way it stopped working. The plasmoid that is, the mobile broadband still works using other network managers. Anyway I have the ppa kde repositories enabled so kde is updated. Whenever I plug in the icon 225 networkmanager tells me "Network interface ttyHSO0 attached". But the plasmoid doesn't show any connections and the "mobile broadband" tab under settings is grayed out.

Code:
          Jul 3 18:47:10 foobar nm-system-settings:  SCPlugin-Ifupdown: device added (udi: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_af0_6971_Serial_Number_if0_serial_unknown_1, iface: (null)): iface not found
          Jul 3 18:47:10 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS1): found serial port (udev:GSM hal:GSM)
          Jul 3 18:47:10 foobar nm-system-settings:  SCPlugin-Ifupdown: device added (udi: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_af0_6971_Serial_Number_if0_serial_unknown_0, iface: (null)): iface not found
          Jul 3 18:47:10 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS0): found serial port (udev:GSM hal:GSM)
          Jul 3 18:47:10 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS0): new Modem device (driver: 'hso')
          Jul 3 18:47:10 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS0): exported as /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_af0_6971_Serial_Number_if0_serial_unknown_0
          Jul 3 18:47:15 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS0): device state change: 1 -> 2
          Jul 3 18:47:15 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS0): deactivating device (reason: 2).
          Jul 3 18:47:15 foobar NetworkManager: <info> Policy set 'Auto eth0' (eth0) as default for routing and DNS.
          Jul 3 18:47:15 foobar NetworkManager: nm_system_device_flush_ip4_routes_with_iface: assertion `iface_idx >= 0' failed
          Jul 3 18:47:15 foobar NetworkManager: nm_system_device_flush_ip4_addresses_with_iface: assertion `iface_idx >= 0' failed
          Jul 3 18:47:15 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS0): device state change: 2 -> 3
          Jul 3 18:47:18 foobar NetworkManager: <info> (ttyHS2): ignoring due to lack of mobile broadband capabilties
          As you can see the networkmanager daemon seem to work pretty fine. And everything is working as it should using knetworkmanager so the problem has to lie within the Network Management plasmoid. I've already tried to go back to an older version of it but that didn't correct anything...

Has anyone experienced the same thing? I really like Network Management and it would be so damn cool if the mobile broadband could work again (Preferably with a nice icon aswell).
          Network management plasmoid or whatever -> no match for wicd. But since there are 'no' kubuntu developers here, they will never know what we think?......another promise not kept

Comment

I 2nd wvdial...I used it on a friend that I was setting up, and it worked great.

mm0
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Scrap the new one, install the old QT3 knetworkmanager.

Comment

Working...
              X