This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PostgreSQL 8.4 install borks KDE 4.2?

PostgreSQL 8.4 has been released and I looked around to see if anyone has tried it. I noticed this problem when someone tried to install the RC1 on Kubuntu 9.04 on June 25th:

http://www.dbtalk.net/mailing-databa...-a-643273.html

Anyone have any better experience, or know when 8.4 will be in the repository?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 install borks KDE 4.2?

No one answered so I decided to install the latest PostgreSQL db anyway, using the binary, since the deb package wasn't in the repository.

I downloaded the 8.4.0-1 bin file from a server listed on the PostgreSQL web page, md5sum checked it, and then untarred it into its directory. I ran ./configure and fixed any missing dependencies. Then I ran "make", followed by "make install". After the install was complete I used

sudo -u postgres psql postgres
    to open the psql terminal client. In it I issued

\password postgres
    to change the postgres user's password to something I wanted. I added my home account name as a user with super admin rights. I added the plpgsql language to template1, along with python, perl and tcl. I closed psql.

After that I could run the new pgAdmin3 1.6.10 admin client, which was also installed by the binary, to than add other users, databases, etc.

PostgreSQL 8.4.0-1 is running fine on my system. It adds significantly to 8.3.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X