This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.2 - can't upgrade apps

Just did a distro-upgrade from 8.04, works fine, except I can't upgrade via the 'System Settings -> Add and Remove Software -> System Updates'. Says I have 4 security updates and 6 blocked updates. The security updates download fine, then during install I get an error with the following details:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/daemonBackend.py", line 109, in run threading.Thread.run(self) File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", line 477, in run self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs) File "/usr/lib/packagekit/aptDBUSBackend.py", line 168, in wrapper func(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/packagekit/aptDBUSBackend.py", line 859, in doUpdateSystem if not self._commit_changes(): return False File "/usr/lib/packagekit/aptDBUSBackend.py", line 1704, in _commit_changes PackageKitInstallProgress(self, install_range)) File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 277, in commit res = self.installArchives(pm, installProgress) File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 252, in installArchives res = installProgress.run(pm) File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/progress.py", line 278, in run pid = self.fork() File "/usr/lib/packagekit/aptDBUSBackend.py", line 429, in fork (pid, self.master_fd) = pty.fork() File "/usr/lib/python2.6/pty.py", line 107, in fork master_fd, slave_fd = openpty() File "/usr/lib/python2.6/pty.py", line 29, in openpty master_fd, slave_name = _open_terminal() File "/usr/lib/python2.6/pty.py", line 70, in _open_terminal raise os.error, 'out of pty devices' OSError: out of pty devices

Any suggestions? Thanks.

-Peter

Re: KDE 4.2 - can't upgrade apps

Yes, it is broken, this is a BIG bug, reported in the bugtracker but still not fixed. In the meantime, please install synaptic and use it to upgrade (or just do upgrades in the command line)

Command line: Launch Konsole and do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

Comment

Konsole doesn't work, either - won't take input. Launches, but no prompt. I don't think I have any other shells installed, either. Can't do it via 'Console login', either, as I can't get my wireless to work via command line. System is pretty messed up. At this point I think I'm just going to install Ubuntu.

-Peter

Comment

Try Ctrl-Alt-F1 for the tty terminal, and log in there. It might be a good idea to shut down the X server with
        Code:
        sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
        then run the commands that lmilano gave you, plus one more:

Code:
        sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        Then, assuming it completes with no errors, I would restart the system with
        Code:
        sudo shutdown -r now
        and when it reboots, it should bring you to the KDM login, and then into X (I'm crossing my fingers ...).

Comment

Ok, I was able to finish the update via tty terminal - thank you. I also fixed Konsole with info from this thread:
          http://www.nabble.com/kpackagekit-pr...d23298490.html
          I had to mount /dev/pts manually - now to fix fstab so it's automatic. Thanks again for the help, I'm feeling better about KDE4.

-Peter

Comment

Ok, here's a bit more info. After mounting /dev/pts the Software Update works. Well, mostly. After download and installing I get the following error:

Details
            The backend took too much time to process the syncronous request - you need to fork!

Any ideas whats going now? Thanks.

-Peter

Comment

Peter,

I wonder if you have some capital screwup in your init scripts. You may want to

Code:
              sudo apt-get install sysv-rc-conf
              Then run it, and make sure dbus, hal and udev are started at boot time. In my fresh install, udev starts at runlevel S, and the other two at levels 2,3,4,5

Hope this helps!

Comment

I have the same runlevels. I added devpts to fstab, and everything seems fine. Thanks again.

-Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pschastain
                  Ok, here's a bit more info. After mounting /dev/pts the Software Update works. Well, mostly. After download and installing I get the following error:

Details
                  The backend took too much time to process the syncronous request - you need to fork!

Any ideas whats going now? Thanks.

-Peter
                  whas that error in Kpackagekit ? .........if so it's allso bugey may I sugjest synaptic it's just better !!

Code:
                  sudo apt-get install synaptic
                  every thing about it just seams better ......to me eneyway.

O I gess I sould say it's (synaptic) a diferent package manager

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                  X