This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clock setup problem, wrong time after reboot

After hardy to jaunty upgrade my clock is showing the wrong time. I went to System Settings -> Date & Time and I checked "Set date and time automatically". Timezone is correctly set. I clicked apply, KdeSudo window pops up, I entered the password and time is correct now.

The problem is that after a reboot "Set date and time automatically" option is unchecked again and clock is showing the wrong time again.

Any suggestions?

Re: clock setup problem, wrong time after reboot

you know i had exactly the same issue with the same upgrade, in 32 bit. I just happened to move to a new box, which was 64 bit, so I did have to do a new install in 64 bit (well, I wasn't forced but I really wanted to run in 64). In the fresh install I have no issues. It must be some old config -- these things are typically fixed with either dpkg --reconfigure or purging and reinstalling the offending packages. I just don't know what packages would be an issue, maybe ntp? A search in synaptic may help ...

Comment

Is that computer connected to the Internet? I think it is the "tzdata" package that goes out and automatically grabs the correct time for your timezone, under normal conditions with a connected system.

Comment

Actually tzdata sets your Time Zone information. To set your clock to a time server use ntp. That probably won't solve this problem though. The hardware clock should get set at shutdown and the system clock set to that at boot but that is probably not happening in this case. This is done from the init scripts, hwclock.sh and hwclockfirst.sh. You could use
        Code:
        sudo date MMDDhhmm
        to set the hardware clock.

Comment

Or you can actually set it from KDE and it works fine until you reboot if I am not mistaken. However, in a fresh install, the same thing works

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
            It must be some old config -- these things are typically fixed with either dpkg --reconfigure or purging and reinstalling the offending packages.
            I tried
            sudo dpkg-reconfigure ntpdate tzdata
            and
            sudo apt-get remove ntpdate; sudo apt-get install ntpdate

Neither helped.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Is that computer connected to the Internet? I think it is the "tzdata" package that goes out and automatically grabs the correct time for your timezone, under normal conditions with a connected system.
              It's connected to the internet. Timezone is correctly set up.
              Also I can set clock time in number of ways. But nothing works after reboot. Weirdest thing is that after reboot, something switches off ntp synchronization.

Comment

Ok, I solved it here. My time was off by a few minutes. Here is what I did:

* uninstalled ntpdate
                * installed ntp
                * sudo service ntp restart
                * sudo vi /etc/ntp.conf
                Code:
                # You do need to talk to an NTP server or two (or three).
                server ntp.ubuntu.com
                server pool.ntp.org
                * right clicked on the clock in the panel, and made sure I had the right timezone, and "Clock defaults to: myTimeZone".

That's it. It was not immediate, but a couple minutes later it was perfectly in sync with www.time.gov

More here: (apparently this has much better support in the default Ubuntu)
                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...ynchronisation

Hope this helps you!

Comment

Some of the things that can cause problems with your system time are:

1. During install or upgrade you accidentally choose the wrong option for system time is UTC or not.

2. Your system time is on one time zone and as you move around, you adjust the display to another time zone. The task manager allows you to enter locations and Kubuntu will work out the correct time in the second location. When you move onto a third location or return to your previous location, you need to remember to return the task bar to that location.

3. Dual booting can cause this problem. I once had Kubuntu running correctly and tried Debian Lenny beta and even though I told it that my system time is UTC, which it is, Lenny was using a different time zone and that messed up the system clock and my Kubuntu time.

As has been said, I think the terminal line is easiest and works without any fuss.
                  HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                    Ok, I solved it here. My time was off by a few minutes. Here is what I did:

* uninstalled ntpdate
                    * installed ntp
                    * sudo service ntp restart
                    * sudo vi /etc/ntp.conf
                    Code:
                    # You do need to talk to an NTP server or two (or three).
                    server ntp.ubuntu.com
                    server pool.ntp.org
                    * right clicked on the clock in the panel, and made sure I had the right timezone, and "Clock defaults to: myTimeZone".

That's it. It was not immediate, but a couple minutes later it was perfectly in sync with www.time.gov

More here: (apparently this has much better support in the default Ubuntu)
                    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...ynchronisation

Hope this helps you!
                    I followed your instructions and within two minutes my clock was no longer 30 minutes off, but right on the correct time. I'm hoping it will stay corrected after my next boot, but this is the first time in 9.04 that my clock self-corrected without having to go into System Settings. Thank you!!
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490
                      I followed your instructions and within two minutes my clock was no longer 30 minutes off, but right on the correct time. I'm hoping it will stay corrected after my next boot, but this is the first time in 9.04 that my clock self-corrected without having to go into System Settings. Thank you!!
                      Awesome! This is also broken in Kubuntu 9.04 :-( Are we going to see the day when Kubuntu is finally a polished distro? In the meantime, I'll see if I post this as a HOWTO. Thanks for letting us know!

Comment

Just a quick followup. After this evening's reboot, the time is right on the moment. That solution definitely needs to be a How-To of some kind. Thanks again.
                        The next brick house on the left
                        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
                        X