X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap file/partition, when installation is done

Hello,

I read the https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq , but it's still somewhat unclear:
    1) My system is working sort of fine. I assume it has defined some swap file internally, didn't ask me, nor I cared. Should I care instead? Is it generally suggested to set apart a swap file? How large then?
    2) I'd like to be able to hybernate. So I need to create swap partition then. I can do it with GParted, set apart the 2x[Memory] partition. What settings should I use for this partition in GParted? How I will tell Kubuntu to use the newly created partition as swap drive, so I get the opportunity to hibernate?

Thanks!

Re: Swap file/partition, when installation is done

Just type sudo fdisk -l in a terminal window and post the output. I'm sure you already have a swap partition. A general rule of thumb for swap is 2x your physical memory size. There should not be any reason for you to create a swap file.
    linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Get KInfocenter:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install kinfocenter
      Then open System > Info Center (Kinfocenter) and click "Memory". It has a very nice graphic with statistics that will show whether you have a swap partition and how it is being used, if at all. You are correct -- to hibernate, you need a swap partition.

Comment

Originally posted by ukchucktown
        Just type sudo fdisk -l in a terminal window and post the output.
        When installing Kubuntu, I intentionally went without the swap partition, because I read that it will be possible to make it later.

Here's the output:

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
        255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
        Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
        Disk identifier: 0x6496c403

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
        /dev/sda1 1 7776 48828125 7 HPFS/NTFS
        /dev/sda3 7777 13855 48829567+ 83 Linux
        /dev/sda4 13856 30401 132905745 5 Extended
        /dev/sda5 13856 30401 132905713+ 83 Linux

*** end of output

I am somewhat surprised about the fact that /dev/sda4 and /dev/sda5 are manifested as two different partitions, while having the same start and end. Perhaps the extended partition sda4 is sort of "parent" of sda5.

Ok, so I'd go on with GParted and make, say, /dev/sda6. Upon installation of Kubuntu I was offered to choose the function of each partition, I doubt that will be available in GParted, perhaps it will just make an empty place for me. What commands in Kubuntu then I should write to format the new partition as swap space, and point the system to use it for good?

Comment

sda5 is a logical partition, inside the extended partition sda4. It is the same disk space.

#5 and #15 in the FAQs in my signature have links to partitioning and formatting guidance.

Comment

the prob now is your gowing to half to shrink 1,3or5 to make room for the swap space.

or save eneything you want from 5 and recutup the space..........that's assuming 1 is windows 3 is kubuntu and 5 is storeg or /home ?? .............if you use gparted to do the work when you make your swap partition you have gparted format it as linux swap .

the reson 4 and 5 look the same is becose 4 is an extended partition that ...(at the moment) ......contanes #5 using all the space ...........a hard drive can onley have 4 partitions UNLESS thares an extended and it can have 3 more.....or 4??

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You get a maximum of 4 primary partitions:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/...titions-c.html

There are size limits to partitions, depending on your OS:

http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_d...e_barriers.htm

Comment

Working...