This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kpackagekit bugged: no package manager

I installed KUbuntu 9.04 this morning and used Kpackagekit first thing to install updates successfully. But, Kpackagekit is now non-functional, I assume because of the bug I found out about in forums. It does not ask me for my root password when I open it, either. In Terminal, I tried [sudo apt-get install adept] as well as [sudo apt-get install synaptic] after reading threads here. Each time I type in my root password, I get a message that says the following:
    E: Type 'rootpassword' is not known on line 54 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
    E: The list of sources could not be read.

My root password worked in Kpackagekit. What's the matter with it how? I'm not Linux-savvy. Ordinarily I solve my problems reading here in the forum. Haven't been able to do that with this problem. I'd like to install Synaptic if someone can help me get that done. I'm lost right now.

If it makes a difference, my computer is 64-bit.

Re: Kpackagekit bugged: no package manager

i am running synaptic in 64 bit, and have the same problem with the updates manager by the way

Can you do "sudo apt-get update? What do you see? Can you use sudo for other things? What if you do "sudo -i", do you turn into root? What's in line 54 in /etc/apt/sources.list?

Comment

To see line 54:

Code:
      sed -n '54p' /etc/apt/sources.list

Comment

KPackageKit is a bit different to the earlier package managers as it will start up without the password prompt, only around the time you want to commit changes the (sudo) password is required.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
          KPackageKit is a bit different to the earlier package managers as it will start up without the password prompt, only around the time you want to commit changes the (sudo) password is required.
          Good point, but it's even failing at that!
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3104822.0

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
            i am running synaptic in 64 bit, and have the same problem with the updates manager by the way

Can you do "sudo apt-get update? What do you see? Can you use sudo for other things? What if you do "sudo -i", do you turn into root? What's in line 54 in /etc/apt/sources.list?
            Sudo -i turned me into root.

Line 54 in /etc/apt/sources.list is one word-- my root password. Shouldn't be there at the end of the sources list, should it? I tried to remove it and save the file, but it says I can't do that because I'm not logged in as root. And, guess what? I can't figure out how to get it to ask me for my root password so that I could modify the file.

Comment

Shouldn't be there, right, just do "kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list" to edit it.

Comment

I cannot thank you enough. It worked. Now I just have to remember how to edit root files.

I installed both Adept and Synaptic. Synaptic would be the best choice for updates?

Comment

Awesome! I would stick to Synaptic for everything. One of the best features IMHO is that you can see the history of your software installations and removals. So, say that at some point you screw up your system by removing some important packages, or you installed stuff that you didn;t want later on, it's all there, in the history, sorted by date and time

I think we need a link in the menues to a text editor (kate) as superuser, people shouldn't need to remeber how to do that. We should propose that in Launchpad.

Cheers!

Comment

In the meantime, you can do it manually: Right click on the K menu, "Menu Editor", and add a File->New Item in Utilities or System, and as a command you type

Code:
                    kdesudo kate
                    Could you please edit the title or your original post and add [SOLVED]? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X