This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 has CPU pegged

When 9.04 first came out I upgraded my laptop from 8.04 to 9.04 and my battery life was aweful when i noticed that the KDE4 process had one of my 2 cores pegged. I reinstalled 9.04 from scratch and now everything's fine. I finally got around to upgrading my desktop and I'm now seeing the same problem. I really don't feel like reinstalling it as well though. Any thoughts?

Re: KDE4 has CPU pegged

A bit more than a week ago, something started stealing massive cycles, leaving the minimum load at 1.0 according to top and xload--but top also reported 99% available.

Reinstalls of both kde3 remix and plain jaunty had the same problem. Sound went away shortly thereafter.

Right now, I think I briefly had sound back (the whistle on window collapse), and load is back below one.

This is also a dual-core toshiba.

hawk
    Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Comment

python is a mess right now... it might be the update notifier or perhaps the HP utility...

Comment

Using top should tell you which process is causing the issue. Ctrl+Esc will give you a nice readout as well. You should definitely try to narrow down where the problem comes from before reinstalling the entire OS.

Comment

Top *should* do that, yes. However, it consistently reported 99% idle and a load over 1. None of the processes used any significant cpu according to top, and I couldn't find any in ps, either. Xload agreed with top's result.

Yesterday, the problem suddenly went away as quickly as it started . . . (but sound is still awol).

hawk
          Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Comment

Working...
          X