This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Number problem

Okay. Here is one weird problem (or maybe two). I have two computers running Kubuntu 9.04. One desktop and one laptop. While using the desktop a couple of days ago I went to show a friend what her house looked like on Google Earth and found that I could not type in her address. The number “7” would not enter after the number "5". (Her address started with 57 and the “7” key would not work. It worked in Kate, so it's not the keyboard, and would work as the first number but not following the “5”.

So now I'm on my laptop and I find the same thing as I did on the desktop. I'm running Google Earth 5.0.11733.9347. Okay I, I think, It's Google Earth. So a little while later I'm in Oregano 0.69.0 and find that the number “1” will not work in the search field! Again, all keys work fine in Kate so it's not the keyboard.

What the heck is going on? Does anybody else see this behaviour? I could understand one program with this problem, but two!

BTW, I'm not stoned. I'm not drunk. (Well maybe a little.) I'm not kidding. I'm serious.

wmrobins

Re: Number problem

Not stoned, not drunk ... so you are missing all the fun so you come here and post a problem, LOL

I'd like to see one more non-kde app. What happens if you type number in firefox for instance?

Comment

Firefox seems to be okay with numbers. (1234567890 0987654321).

Comment

Ah, you are posting from Firefox. I've never seen anything like this. Have you looked at the Keyboard section in System Settings?

Comment

Sorry for the delay in replying. I had to attend to some family "stuff." There's nothing non stock in the keyboard settings. I have not seen this behavior in any other programs. But I do see it on a Ubuntu 9.04 box also. So that's a total of three out of three. So, unless a lot of people are seeing this, it must be something I've loaded.

Is anybody else seeing this? Please ,somebody look in google earth and see if you can enter a "7" after "5" in the search field and let me know.

Comment

It's working here. I am not really sure what yo suggest for the keyboard. Anyone else has any ideas?
            Attached Files

Comment

Just curious, did you try with both the number keys at the top of the keyboard, and with the keys with NumLock on on the number keypad?

Comment

On the desktop I did try both the keypad and the number keys along the top. I also tried entering the address into Kate and then copy and pasting it into Earth. The doesn't work either. But I did find out that the numbers the "7" is going in, but it and all numbers and text that follows are not visible. (It'll find an address with a 7). So strange.

Comment

ah, you might be missing some fonts then?

Comment

Well, I've had a chance to play around a bit more and found that in GE using the seven key seems to cause a curser "return" that goes off the entry window. If I type enough char they begin to show again. And there are other places on the menus that have char over char.

Comment

I have no idea what the problem is, so don't take this too seriously. I just have a guess at what might cause a problem like the OP described.

Is it possible that the affected keys are (mistakenly) bound to keyboard shortcuts within the affected applications? I'm not even sure if it's possible to bind an unmodified number key to a shortcut, but maybe something went haywire.

When thinking about the situation, I don't know of any other reports of the same problem among different users. So the only thing in common among all reports of this problem is the user. For this reason, I suspect the user has caused the problem in some way which has not yet become apparent.

OP, can you please provide more specific details which might be related to the problem?
                      Welcome newbies!
                      Verify the ISO
                      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

There are no keyboard short cuts set to to numbers. (I checked) And I have not ,on any of my three computers showing the same problem, set up any shortcuts. As far as this being caused by something the user has done.... The user, (me) agrees. More specificaly, I think it is something I installed. I am a a part time programer and full time electronic engineer. I know I have installed a lot of stuff that most people don't.

There are some other odd things. Tale a look at the coordinates in the attached pic.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I keep thinking there is some screwup with fonts. Maybe there is some hint here?
                          https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Fonts

I would definitely run dpkg --reconfigure on fontconfig. I actually ran a massive reconfigure the other day _-a option) and it rebuilt a lot of font related stuff. If you plan on doing that, check the man page. I think it's best to use the -phigh option and the -u too (so you don't get a million questions)

Comment

Working...
                          X