This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

option to offer administrative password no longer appearing on installs

I brought up this problem recently, in a slightly different context - see thread http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...4296#msg184296

Now I'm trying to install a downloaded debian package - "peazip" - which I've installed multiple times in the past. My previously installed version was having problems, and I have a new one now.

Normally, clicking on a debian package will cause to appear a request for my administrative password. Just as with my previous problem with using the Kubuntu update manager (accessed through the system tray applet), I'm no longer getting that reqest. In both cases, I'm simply told that "You don't have the necessary privileges to perform this action."

I tried using apt-get:

tomc@tomc-desktop:~/software_archive$ sudo apt-get install peazip_2.6.2.LINUX.GTK2-2_all
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package peazip_2.6.2.LINUX.GTK2-2_all
    tomc@tomc-desktop:~/software_archive$ sudo apt-get install peazip_2.6.2.LINUX.GTK2-2_all.deb
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package peazip_2.6.2.LINUX.GTK2-2_all.deb
    tomc@tomc-desktop:~/software_archive$

No go.

I'm out of options. What can I do at this point? Any ideas as to how to fix the basic problem, as well as to how to step around it and just get this blasted package to install?

Re: option to offer administrative password no longer appearing on installs

I don't know what to make of that kind of output from the apt-get command. It looks to me like something is terribly broken on your system. Pray that someone smarter than me will RE this thread.

At least I may be able to help you get PeaZip working. Try downloading one of the DEB files from the PeaZip download page. Install it with the command sudo dpkg --install.

For example:
    Code:
    dpkg --install peazip_2.6.2.LINUX.Qt-2_all.deb
    I have not tested the command above because I don't want PeaZip on my computer. If you encounter problems, post your console output and we can try another method.

Until then, I wish you luck in solving the bigger problem.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Thanks. I was only very vaguely familiar with the 'dpkg' command, and had forgotten it. Unfortunately, it didn't do any better than apt-get:

tomc@tomc-desktop:~/software_archive$ sudo dpkg -i peazip_2.6.2.LINUX.GTK2-2_all.deb
      dpkg: error processing peazip_2.6.2.LINUX.GTK2-2_all.deb (--install):
      cannot access archive: No such file or directory
      Errors were encountered while processing:
      peazip_2.6.2.LINUX.GTK2-2_all.deb
      tomc@tomc-desktop:~/software_archive$

I also tried it without the 'deb' extension, and got the same result. One might think the download is bad, but it isn't. I WAS able to install it by initiating an administrative level instance of dolphin, then simply clicking the package file from within THAT. It installed just fine.

So, that leaves us with the root problem: normal pathways to administrative access, even through the CLI, seem blocked. Fortunately not all are, though. I have NO idea what to do with this, or even where to take the problem, other than here.

Thanks for your continuing assistance. Much appreciated.

Comment

Okay, so PeaZip installed for you from the DEB

Caution!
        The next question is my stab in the dark at what might cause a problem like yours. I have done no particular research into the subject, so you may consider this a S.W.A.G. (Scientific Wild *ss Guess).

By any chance, have you enabled the root account on your system? By enabled I mean have you assigned a root password by any method you may have discovered while searching the Internet?
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

An idea worth considering. I have not done so by intention, certainly. How can I check to see if somehow it's happened inadvertently (if this is possible)?

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd
            An idea worth considering. I have not done so by intention, certainly. How can I check to see if somehow it's happened inadvertently (if this is possible)?
            If you had, then you should know. So I guess that's a non-starter.

Good luck. I hope you can get it working.
            Welcome newbies!
            Verify the ISO
            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
            X