X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Extra Software on a CD

Hey all...

So I have a very limited amount of bandwidth that I can safely use every month, so I can only download so much in 1 month. I am currently in the process of getting a desktop up and running with Kubuntu, and all the little extras that I want/need.

I also want to get 2 additional computers running with more or less the same configuration with more or less the same apps, updates, extras, etc...

I DEFINITELY need to keep the downloads to a minimum. So all the big apps and downloads can only be downloaded once, but needs to be put onto 3 different computers.

So here's my question(s)...

How can I do that? My thought is to get my one desktop up and running the way I want it to, and then take a look at all the packages that were installed above and beyond the initial Kubuntu installation. Then download all those packages onto a CD or DVD or multiples... Then use THOSE CD(s)/DVD(s) on the other computers as a source for the packages.

I have NO idea how to accomplish it, but that's my idea. PLUS, it would make a great reinstall CD/DVD in the event of catastrophe.

All that being said, there might even be an easier/simpler/quicker way to do all that, and I'm just not aware of it...

So if anyone's got any advice/help/info for me in this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: All Extra Software on a CD

Here's one approach:

http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

I'm sure there are more ....

Comment

I like on-disk for great stuff on cd. Here is the entire repository for 9.04 up to June 1, 2009. Hope this helps.

http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/789
      Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder_Snyper
        So I have a very limited amount of bandwidth that I can safely use every month, so I can only download so much in 1 month. I am currently in the process of getting a desktop up and running with Kubuntu, and all the little extras that I want/need.

I also want to get 2 additional computers running with more or less the same configuration with more or less the same apps, updates, extras, etc...

I DEFINITELY need to keep the downloads to a minimum. So all the big apps and downloads can only be downloaded once, but needs to be put onto 3 different computers.
        This should work:
        • Copy all the .deb files you'd like to share with the other computers from your /var/cache/apt/archives into a directory.
        • Burn those files onto the CD.
        • Open a terminal window and type sudo apt-cdrom add to add the CD ROM to /etc/apt/sources.list, or edit the sources.list file manually by typing kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list and uncommenting the line that starts with #deb cdrom: (which should be the first line of the file) by removing the # from the beginning of the line, and save and exit the file.
        • Type sudo apt-get update to refresh the list of available repositories.
        • Close the terminal window.

Now you should be able to stick in a CD and open the package manager to access the files on it.
        There is no spoon.

Author of the Mostly Linux blog.

Comment

...or you can copy all the debs to the other computer's /var/cache/apt/archives and update/install as usual. The package manager will skip the downloading of debs that are found in that folder and are in the current version. Before copying I recommend using "sudo apt-get autoclean" so that only latest versions of your packages are kept in the cache folder.

Comment

I also have been searching something like this but i want to use USB flash disk instead of CD/DVD. Any suggestions
            Sony Vaio VGN-NR160E/T<br />Kubuntu 9.04 KDE 4.3.00

Comment

Originally posted by baucha
              I also have been searching something like this but i want to use USB flash disk instead of CD/DVD. Any suggestions
              This should work, and if you're willing, you can be my test guinea pig, since I don't own a USB stick.

CREATING A USB REPOSITORY

CREATE IT:

1. Insert the USB stick.

2. Create a directory somewhere on the USB drive.

3. Copy your .deb files into the directory you created.

4. Open a terminal window in the directory you created.

5. Type this command to create a file containing detailed information about your packages:

dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip -9c > Packages.gz

There should now be a file named Packages.gz in the directory you created.

ADD IT:

In order for your repository to be used, the package manager needs to know it exists:

1. Open the sources.list file in a text editor:

* Kubuntu users type kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list

* Ubuntu users type gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

2. Find the line that starts with #deb cdrom or deb cdrom (this should be near the top of the file).

3. Add this line directly below the cdrom line, replacing /myrepositorydirectory with the path to your USB repository directory:

deb file:/myrepositorydirectory /

4. Save the file.

5. Close the text editor.

USE IT:

1. Insert the USB stick.

2. Type this command to refresh the list of available repositories:

sudo apt-get update

3. Use your package manager or apt-get commands normally.

REMOVE IT:

If you no longer wish to use the USB repository, you’ll need to remove it from your sources.list file:

1. Open the sources.list file in a text editor:

* Kubuntu users type kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list

* Ubuntu users type gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

2. Delete the line you added in step 3 above.

3. Save the file.

4. Close the text editor.

5. Type this command to refresh the list of available repositories:

sudo apt-get update

You can delete the directory or move it to another location, but this is not required.
              There is no spoon.

Author of the Mostly Linux blog.

Comment

Working...
              X