This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ie7 via CrossOver 8 anyone?

I installed CrossOver 8.0.0 and got further than I ever have in getting ie7 installed, but it just locks up when I try and use it... anyone else having success today?

Re: ie7 via CrossOver 8 anyone?

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
    I installed CrossOver 8.0.0 and got further than I ever have in getting ie7 installed, but it just locks up when I try and use it... anyone else having success today?
    I don't use crossover, but use wine instead. You might try it (it is free) and refer to this page for instructions to install I.E.7 [http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-rev...ith-wine.html]

Comment

What bottle are you storing it in? Win98?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        What bottle are you storing it in? Win98?
        Good question... I don't see where that would be.. but it does have a hotfix for xp installed, so I think that would be it.

Comment

In installed CrossOver 8 on 8.04 (Hardy). IE 6 and IE 7 installed very simple and they ran okay, no problem at all. Both in a 98 bottle. But.
          I wanted to get rid of vmware, I only use it for running IE 6 and IE 7 testing sites I build. But in CrossOver IE 6 and IE 7 can't run opacity (and maybe more things?). So I can't use it completely for testing, because the rendering differs from the 'real' IE. (Wine has the same problem.)

Oops, I may be wrong with the bottle, maybe IE 7 was in XP, I just used the default CrossOver offered me.

Comment

I recently tested out the pro version of Crossover on Kubuntu 9.04, because a friend couldn't get WINE to work on a Windows app he needed. It installed fine and everything worked well, including Windows Media, so I could recommend it to him so he could run that app he has used for years, and still feels a need to use it, even though there are equal or better apps in Linux. Habits are hard to break.

I uninstalled CrossOver.

Later that day I opened the 1.22.11... Linux SecondLife client and discovered I could not connect up the voice. I could get media, UI and environmental sounds, but no voice. It seems that CrossOver allowed Windows media to capture all of the audio and video mimes, but uninstalling CrossOver didn't revert the mimnes back to their original assignments.

Here's the interesting part. My UbuntuFireWall (ufw) was not enabled, which is default, but somewhere, somehow, access rules were being applied which prevented SLVoice from getting through to the internet. If I started SecondLive and turned on voice chat in the preferences BEFORE I logged on I would get the little green boxes blinking back and forth as I spoke. I would apply that and then shut down SL. Starting SL up again and logging I would find that the white "voice dot" over my avatar's head was missing. That proved to me that it was a firewall problem, even though the firewal wasn't "enabled".

It stilll makes no sense to me but I issued a command to "flush" all firewall settings on a firewall that wasn't enabled:
            sudo iptables -F
            and when I started SL up my voice dot appeared and I had a voice. HOWEVER, even though I could now talk to and hear other people, all the other environmental sounds in SL were absence. I couldn't hear the "whoosh" of teleporting to another sim. Explosions, bird whistles, streaming music... all absent.

I rebooted, restarted SL and then found out that I didn't have voice or sound! I issued the flush command again but that didn't help. Here is what I found on an SL forum that I had to do just to get voice back (in the form of a script I run when before I log into SL:
            #!/bin/bash
            sudo iptables -F
            sudo iptables -X
            sudo iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
            sudo iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
            sudo iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
            sudo iptables -t nat -F
            sudo iptables -t nat -X
            sudo iptables -t nat -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
            sudo iptables -t nat -P PREROUTING ACCEPT
            sudo iptables -t nat -P POSTROUTING ACCEPT
            sudo iptables -t mangle -F
            sudo iptables -t mangle -X
            sudo iptables -t mangle -P INPUT ACCEPT
            sudo iptables -t mangle -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
            sudo iptables -t mangle -P FORWARD ACCEPT
            sudo iptables -t mangle -P PREROUTING ACCEPT
            sudo iptables -t mangle -P POSTROUTING ACCEPT
            exit 0
            but still no media or UI sounds.

I am going to explore turning on the firewall and make my own rules to allow ALL the media to talk back and forth in SL.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X