This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digikam: Not showing pictures

For some reason digikam has stopped displaying albums for me.

I've tried unistalling / reinstalling. Deleting old .db files. Removing and re-adding albums. But all I get is a blank center pane:

[img width=400 height=300]http://i43.tinypic.com/ac3m34.png[/img]

I'm using:
    Digikam Version 0.10.0
    Using KDE 4.2.90 (KDE 4.2.90 (KDE 4.3 Beta2)
    On Kubuntu Jaunty

Re: Digikam: Not showing pictures

are you runing a lot of desktop efex ....try turning some off and see what happens.

and try

Code:
    sudo apt-get check
    to check for broken dependencies.

?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by gdoutch
      For some reason digikam has stopped displaying albums for me.

Digikam Version 0.10.0
      Using KDE 4.2.90 (KDE 4.2.90 (KDE 4.3 Beta2)
      On Kubuntu Jaunty
      I'm getting the same thing.

Digikam now (I hadn't seen it in earlier digikam versions) seems to be very sensitive to library versions (although this isn't reflected in the dependency restrictions) and will refuse to display images if everything isn't exactly right, although you can see the images via Tools->OpenGL Image Viewer. I saw the same behaviour during a previous bout of upgrading.

Here's hoping that the maintainers update digikam for 4.2.90 soon (assuming that my explanation is correct )

Comment

Just booted into my PC today. Before I had finished reading your posts, I started Digikam up, and suddenly it's fixed!

I haven't done anything (to my knowledge).

Comment

It is called a miracle!!

Comment

Just booted into my PC today. Before I had finished reading your posts, I started Digikam up, and suddenly it's fixed!

Lucky you! That trick is not working for me. Still have no pictures. I don't know what's more annoying: The incompetence of putting a beta release in a backport repository (instead of experimental) or that digikam is that sensitive to library versions...

deezy

Comment

Originally posted by PJJ
              It is called a miracle!!
              Lucky me.

Originally posted by deezy

Lucky you! That trick is not working for me. Still have no pictures. I don't know what's more annoying: The incompetence of putting a beta release in a backport repository (instead of experimental) or that digikam is that sensitive to library versions...

deezy
              Have you tried doing the things I mentioned in post 1? Other than that I don't know...

Comment

Have you tried doing the things I mentioned in post 1? Other than that I don't know...
                I didn't do nothing. Reinstalling seemed not reasonable and I don't know what data I will loose by deleting old .db files. But if it stays the way it is, I will try.... though I'm still hoping this gets fixed by those who messed it up. Backports should be save to use!

deezy

Comment

Deleting the .db file means Digikam will have to re-build it's index for the pictures. It's perfectly safe.

Comment

Deleting the .db file means Digikam will have to re-build it's index for the pictures. It's perfectly safe.
                    Deleting the .db files and reinstalling of digikam had no effect. Seems that I have to wait until this gets fixed, as I have no time for debugging at the moment.
                    btw: deleting the db file means losing all tagging data, which is not what I would call "prefectly save"....

deezy

Comment

ok, but it doesn't delete your pictures!!

(btw, you can always restore from trash... )

Comment

Well, now I'm back to having no pictures, and all I can think I have done is move some more photos into one of my album folders while Digikam was closed, and this is far from uncertain.

By the way, does anyone know a repo for Digikam 1.0?

Comment

OK, I have them back again, here's what I did:

Delete .db
                          <still wasn't fixed>
                          Uninstall / reinstall / reconfigure Digikam.
                          <still wasn't fixed>
                          Reboot.

I now have my photos back.

I'm not sure which steps cured the issue and which were unnecessary ... if it happens again I'll be more methodical.

There was also some upgrades today, so I'm unsure if that may have had anything to do with it...

Thinking some more about what may have caused Digikam to bork this time - my PC hung while I was importing from my camera and I had to power down to recover - so maybe a corrupt .db file ... ??

Comment

This happened to me as well. After much searching, I found a bug (link below) that describes the symptom and identifies a workaround. (Getting the latest amarok via backports updates libmarble4 to a version that is incompatible w/ digikam.)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/kde4-backports/+bug/386872

A handy tip they mentioned there is to look in ~/.xsession-errors where I, too, found things like:

Cannot load library /usr/lib/kde4/kio_digikamalbums.so: (/usr/lib/libdigikamcore.so.1: undefined symbol:
                            _ZN6Marble12MarbleWidget16addPlaceMarkDataERK7QStr ingS3_)

For me, the solution was indeed to downgrade libmarble4, as follows:
                            Code:
                            % sudo apt-get install libmarble4=4:4.2.2-0ubuntu1

Comment

Many thanks for that. My pics had gone (again!), so I did
                              Code:
                              % sudo apt-get install libmarble4=4:4.2.2-0ubuntu1
                              And now they're back!

Comment

Working...
                              X