X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

logout keeps crashing

Hi,

I find that when I logout, kde4 ends and reverts to a console screen with all the boot-up messages-then I get is a blinking cursor and no way back to kdm login screen apart from rebooting.

When I reboot, the kubuntu splash screen starts and then reverts to a console with the old style boot messages, then it goes to kdm login?

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks for any help.

Re: logout keeps crashing

I've had similar troubles with suspend to ram.

Comment

Originally posted by davidlondon

I find that when I logout, kde4 ends and reverts to a console screen with all the boot-up messages-then I get is a blinking cursor and no way back to kdm login screen apart from rebooting.
      This looks like a video driver issue to me. When it is finished and sitting with the blinky cursor, have you tried Ctrl-Alt-F1 or Alt-F1? If that takes you to a console login, then that will confirm a video driver problem.

When I reboot, the kubuntu splash screen starts and then reverts to a console with the old style boot messages, then it goes to kdm login?

Any ideas how to fix this?
      I don't this this is a "problem" to be fixed. I have noticed since KDE 4.2 that I often see a console login for a second, between the login splash and the KDE desktop. It's not as smooth as it should be, but I think it must be due to the early nature of KDE 4.2 (actually I have 4.3 Beta 2).

Comment

i have noticed a similar problem with my compaq cq40 laptop. It has an intel 4500 vga chip.
        the vga chip of your machine?

Comment

I had the same problem and I 100% agree with dibl - that was missing driver for my graphic card.

Also - if your computer was running ok before, and you have done update and new headers were installed - it will go to the same behaviour, because graphic drivers will be over-written.

If you have NVIDIA graphic card I can help you install drivers step-by-step. If not - search net for ENVY and install. That should fix problem.

Kubuntu Karmic Koala AMD64bit Acer Aspire 7520

Comment

i noticed that my problem went away when i changed to another splaach screen,

Comment

That's interesting because I had same problem around 10 years ago when I had Windows (Speed machine with nickname 98 SE)

Also, this kind of problems could be caused by too long sound (wav. oog. or whatever from system sounds) which accompanies your Shut-Down of system.
              Kubuntu Karmic Koala AMD64bit Acer Aspire 7520

Comment

Working...
              X