This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin is slow

Some time, when I move the mouse on a big pdf file or other, dolphin stopped for about one second.
    After it work normally.
    I have seen that dolphin is slow also when I move the mouse on a picture folder (I have a lot of pictures) or other folder with more file.
    Is it a bug or is it normal?

Re: Dolphin is slow

Probably normal.

I think it is not actually Dolphin that is taking the time, it is the video driver and video chip, trying to show every preview for you. If your hardware (CPU and graphics chip) are not the fastest, there's going to be some delay showing the previews.

Comment

Closing the Information panel (if you have it open) can help... no place to show the preview = no slowdown.

Comment

Ok, but my pc is intel core 2 duo 2.4ghz, 2 gb ram and nvidia geforce 8800gts video card.

Comment

Originally posted by Luigi
          Ok, but my pc is intel core 2 duo 2.4ghz, 2 gb ram and nvidia geforce 8800gts video card.
          Just to be sure, you are running 9.04, with KDE 4.2.x, right? I only ask because in 4.1 (I believe) the preview slowdown was substantially worse... I realize we are in the 9.04 forum, but just want to check.

Comment

I am sort of having the same problem, however my issue is then either trying to upload/download files in Firefox or opening an image in GIMP (at least so far). Sometimes it will take from 30 seconds to a minute to be able to do anything with those.

Now if I open up other programs while this is happening, those are not affected. But if I try to open Dolphin while this is happening, I have a slow down there.

So I am not too sure if this is because I am using ext4 or KDE 4.3 beta 2. It only just started happening yesterday, so I am not sure what it could be.

Comment

What happens when you use Konqueror in stead of Dolphin?

I have a similar spec'd machine and don't see your problem, even on jpg's that are around 5 MB in size.

Comment

Originally posted by Turk
                I am sort of having the same problem...
                Code:
                And make sure you don't have a python process taking up huge amounts of resources... it has been an issue lately...

Comment

Just to be sure, you are running 9.04, with KDE 4.2.x, right? I only ask because in 4.1 (I believe) the preview slowdown was substantially worse... I realize we are in the 9.04 forum, but just want to check.
                  Yes, I'm using kubuntu 9.04 with kde 4.2.2.
                  I've tried with konqueror and I've not problems. Konqueror run quickly!

Comment

Hmm, I had hoped Dolphin had improved more.
                    Because the original Dolphin was a very handicapped file manager I reverted back to Konqueror but the odd tests I do with Dolphin have never shown me it was any slower than Konqueror.

Because Konqueror an Dolphin seem to share many settings I'd suggest you temporarily rename them, that way they will should upon start up be recreated with defaults.

You can find the settings in ~/.kde/share/apps/dolphin and konqueror respectively.

Comment

Working...
                    X