This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with hard freezes

I upgraded to Kubuntu Jaunty a couple weeks ago, and while it's mostly been a good experience, I've had multiple cases of hard freezes (no mouse or keyboard response or hard drive activity, requiring the system to be shut down via the power button). Some of which can be recreated.

Now, before I upgraded to Jaunty, I backed up my files and converted my ext3 and FAT32 partitions to ext4. I have no idea if ext4 is the root cause of the freezes, though. I also have my partitions set to auto-mount, and at least two instances of the hard freeze have occurred when using a specific auto-mounted partition.

A couple times I experienced a hard freeze when Dolphin was used to move a file or folder that is several hundred megs in size. The one time was from one partition to another, but I forget how it was the second time. I also had one hard freeze where an app moved a file to a folder that I had open in Dolphin.

One time I woke up to discover my computer froze overnight. I noticed there were two Akregator icons in the system tray, each displaying a different number of new articles. I'm fairly certain Akregator can't have multiple instances, which is what confused me. Also, after rebooting, Akregator wouldn't display. It would start, and cause my CPU usage to reach 100%. I ended up deleting Akregator's feed cache before it would start again.

Finally, Amarok has been giving me trouble when scanning new folders in my collection. I think I know what folder is causing the problem, and it is on a different partition than my Home or Root partitions. Other folders on that partition work just fine. So I don't know if it's a file in that folder or its sub-folders that isn't agreeing with Amarok or what.

I know it's probably easy to just blame ext4, but I tried looking on the Ubuntu forums and I didn't notice anyone complaining about ext4 causing hard freezes like this. Here's my fstab file:

Code:
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # Entry for /dev/sdb2 :
    UUID=d45e2d97-7355-4ffb-99be-b3c297635437 / ext4 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # Entry for /dev/sda2 :
    UUID=3626345b-31cc-4850-ba1b-eb163f8dc37b /home ext4 relatime 0 2
    # Entry for /dev/sdb5 :
    UUID=93335774-7a09-43e4-898c-a1c7fedc9e63 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 ext4 defaults 0 0
    /dev/sdb4 /media/sdb4 ext4 defaults 0 0
    /dev/sda3 /media/sda3 ext4 defaults 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /media/PRESARIO ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    I did just notice that my Home and Root partitions are mounted with "realtime," and I'm curious if I should use the same for the others instead of "default." Could that be causing my problems? I think it may all be centered around my sda3 partition, but I'm not entirely sure.
Working...
X