This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto email checker/notifier?

Can anyone recommend an automatic email checker/notifier for use with Thunderbird? There are quite a few listed, but I've never tried any of them. My windoz machine has a simple program that checks periodically for email on multiple accounts and even says "you've got mail" using a small wave file. Guess I'm trying to duplicate that functionality with linux. Isn't it funny how we get used to something as simple as that?

Thanks!
    AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Re: Auto email checker/notifier?

For Gmail there is Gmail Notifier... http://gmail-notify.sourceforge.net/
    For other mail try http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Commu...ion-3483.shtml

Comment

Mail-notification should be in the repos.

For Jaunty: gx mail notify plasmoid (widget). works well

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I have Thunderbird set up to automatically check all my email accounts every ten minutes for new mail. I have a wave file that notifies me when a new message arrives, and it displays a pop up window. You just have to set up the accounts in Thunderbird. I did not install, nor do I need any additional programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
          I have Thunderbird set up to automatically check all my email accounts every ten minutes for new mail. I have a wave file that notifies me when a new message arrives, and it displays a pop up window. You just have to set up the accounts in Thunderbird. I did not install, nor do I need any additional programs.
          Seems like the best solution to me..

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
            Never tried that. Sounds like the best option for me. Thanks for all the recommendations folks.
            AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Comment

If you use Gmail, the Gmail plasmoid integrates quite well with KDE 4. I recommend manually downloading it and following the installation instructions on KDE-Look rather than going through the "Install new widget / Get Hot New Stuff" dialog in KDE. The latter gave me problems.

Comment

Working...
              X