X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VirtualBox

Hello,
    Has anyone installed VirtualBox on a Kubuntu 9.04 host? I have 2.2.4 working fine on a Ubuntu 9.04 box, but the same package won't install on Kubuntu 9.04?

Re: VirtualBox

I have. I just used the amd64 package from their website and have had no problems installing.

Comment

Thanks rizado, that made me look a bit further. It wouldn't install from the GUI - I kept getting an error from the installer. As you succeeded I went to the command line and dpkg installed it perfectly. Weird
      Thanks

Comment

Strange. I never had any problems with installing it, I added the repos to both my 9.04 laptop and my 8.04 desktop; on both to install I used the KDE 3.5 version of Adept, though.

(I definitely like how VirtualBox is supporting 8.04, Long-Term Support version indeed!)

Comment

Semi OT question: If one happened to install VBox successfully, does it now offer USB support? I tried it a couple years ago and was not happy to discover that there was no USB support in the VM. I've stayed with VMWare since then, since I sometimes use the USB stick or USB card reader in the VM.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            Semi OT question: If one happened to install VBox successfully, does it now offer USB support?
            Originally posted by VirtualBox User Manual Version 2.1.4, Section 1.3 Features overview
            – USB device support. VirtualBox implements a virtual USB controller and
            allows you to connect arbitrary USB devices to your virtual machines with-
            out having to install device-specific drivers on the host. USB support is not
            limited to certain device categories. For details, see chapter 3.7.7.1, USB
            settings, page 52.
            The latest version of the VirtualBox User Manual is always available from the Downloads page.

I've never used any of the USB features, and usually kept them disabled hoping to improve performance. If you have difficulty getting USB features working on Linux hosts, please consult VirtualBox User Manual section 11.5.7. You can also get support in the VirtualBox on Linux Hosts forum.
            Welcome newbies!
            Verify the ISO
            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Aha!

Thank you Telengard -- looks like time to take another look at VBox!

Comment

Isn't USB support disabled in the open source edition that's in the repositories? (But if I wanted to use USB storage devices I'd mount them in Kubuntu and share my /mnt or /media directory with Vbox.)

Comment

@ dibl : You're welcome, and good luck

Originally posted by abalone
                  Isn't USB support disabled in the open source edition that's in the repositories?
                  I don't know, since I've never needed USB features for my guest machines.

(But if I wanted to use USB storage devices I'd mount them in Kubuntu and share my /mnt or /media directory with Vbox.)
                  Sounds like a workable solution. Have you done this successfully?
                  Welcome newbies!
                  Verify the ISO
                  Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
                    (But if I wanted to use USB storage devices I'd mount them in Kubuntu and share my /mnt or /media directory with Vbox.)
                    Sounds like a workable solution. Have you done this successfully?
                    Yes, just now.

Comment

The only thing with the USB support is, I believe, virtualbox must be run as root for it to work.
                      # make install --not-war

Comment

Isn't USB support disabled in the open source edition that's in the repositories? (But if I wanted to use USB storage devices I'd mount them in Kubuntu and share my /mnt or /media directory with Vbox.)
                        True, and a good solution. However if you aren't too much of a stickler for staying with the open source version (okay, it made me a little sad, but anyways) you can very easily add the non-OSE VirtualBox repository for your release. It's free as in beer, just not free as in speech. For Jaunty the line is

Code:
                        deb [url]http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian[/url] jaunty non-free
                        then just add the key and install it, along with DKMS for the sake of handling any future kernel upgrades on your box;

Code:
                        you@computer:~$ wget -q [url]http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/sun_vbox.asc[/url] -O- | sudo apt-key add -
                        you@computer:~$ sudo apt-get update
                        you@computer:~$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-2.2 dkms

Comment

KeithZG-

I read your post and got excited... I installed that version as you laid out (although i'm on intrepid and I changed the source to reflect that). I was hoping that virtualbox would finally recognize my iphone or logitech harmony.

I tried the iphone to no avail, did not try the harmony.

Oh well, maybe another day...
                          eMachines E520 notebook, 2ghz celeron, 3gb RAM, 160gb HDD, etc... woot.com special with no Microsoft tax running Kubuntu 9.04 beautifully

Comment

Originally posted by AboveTheLogic
                            KeithZG-

I read your post and got excited... I installed that version as you laid out (although i'm on intrepid and I changed the source to reflect that). I was hoping that virtualbox would finally recognize my iphone or logitech harmony.

I tried the iphone to no avail, did not try the harmony.

Oh well, maybe another day...
                            Have you tried any additional steps? Myself I avoid proprietary and locked-down corporate stuff like a plague, so I can't at all speak from experience, but other people seem to have gotten it to work:

http://maketecheasier.com/sync-ipod-...pid/2008/12/16
                            http://blog.rootshell.be/2009/01/15/...es-virtualbox/

Hope that helps, at least to start; a bit of googling seems to show others have made it work, so theoretically it should be possible.

As for the Harmony remote, that doesn't appear to be impossible either:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtop...4fbe607b4849e7

Comment

I just tried and shut VB off, since I was in the middle of some other things.

I will follow up and let you guys know whether or not I get it workin'
                              eMachines E520 notebook, 2ghz celeron, 3gb RAM, 160gb HDD, etc... woot.com special with no Microsoft tax running Kubuntu 9.04 beautifully

Comment

Working...
                              X