This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDM loads as blank screen, other DMs work fine

I'm a bit at a loss; everything else I've tried (xdm, kdm-kde3, gdm, and so on) works absolutely fine, but the current version of kdm will just load as a blank screen.

It's quite possible that I've borked this myself, heh, since for awhile I was following the xorg-edgers PPA since it fixed the random corruption and slowdowns I was getting on this laptop here. Still, why would ever other *dm work fine yet KDE4's kdm fail?

The laptop/setup in question is Jaunty (naturally) with a GMA945 as the graphics card. No errors seem to show up in the console. For the moment I've gone over to using kdm-kde3 (xdm is faster to load, but it lacks any options and I tend to use a big variety of desktop environments, soooo it's not really an option).

Re: KDM loads as blank screen, other DMs work fine

Is UXA set as the AccelMethod in xorg.conf? This borks my X/KDE/KDM under the server kernel (but not the generic kernel). I never tested other wms.
    Paul

Comment

Yeah, it definitely is set to that. I am using the generic kernel, though (both 2.6.28 and 2.6.30 exhibit this behaviour). Once again a lose-lose situation for Intel graphics users in Jaunty, I guess?

On the other hand, the problems my laptop has with KDE4 haven't changed (mainly plasma keeps eating up more and more CPU and memory until the entire system locks, regardless of whether desktop effects are disabled or not), just that KDE 4.2's KDM loads blank. Ironically KDE 3.5's KDM lets me log into KDE4 just fine so I guess that's what I'll stick with for now (I assume GDM would too but I haven't tried it, and it seems to take longer than KDM-KDE3 to load anyways) .

Comment

Originally posted by KeithZG

(both 2.6.28 and 2.6.30 exhibit this behaviour).
        Oooops -- you didn't get that from the standard JJ repos, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Originally posted by KeithZG
          (both 2.6.28 and 2.6.30 exhibit this behaviour).
          Oooops -- you didn't get that from the standard JJ repos, eh?
          Nope Still the Ubuntu-modified ones, though. Which reminds me, I should upgrade to the released 2.6.30, I'm still on one of the release candidates...maaaaybe that'll fix things? Worth a shot at least.

If not, well, I've been meaning to find an excuse to test Karmic

Comment

Working...
          X