X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOW TO: Clean up your drop box cache automatically everyday

Hey Everyone,

Thanks to the wonderful posts in here about dropbox for Jaunty I am now syncing in bliss. However I've noticed that the cache folder get's really large rather quickly. Can anyone help me write a script that will go through and dump out the cache every morning? I understand the purpose of the cache is to recover deleted files or whatever but since I"m using my cache to sync my mozilla folders I really don't care about recovering anything from it. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Edit: This was originally a question and I decided to change it to a HOW TO article instead since this now has the answer to my question as well.
    Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Re: Dropbox Cache

Ok so it turns out I work with an awesome Ubuntu guy who was able to help me out here is what we did.
    1. Created a file called dropboxcleanup and it contains the following

#!/bin/sh

rm -r ~/.dropbox/cache/*

2. Save it and exit nano or kate or gedit
    3. Make it executable
    chmod +x dropboxcleanup

Then we went into the crontab
    sudo nano /etc/crontab

and added the following line

00 04 * * * username -x /home/username/dropboxcleanup
    MAKE SURE THAT YOU CHANGE USERNAME TO YOUR USERNAME

This will cause the job to run at 4am everyday and it will go through and delete all of the stuff out of the cache folder for you.

If you have any questions feel free to message me and I'll do my best to answer them for you as I am no linux expert yet but I do stumble around through the dark quite well.
    Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Comment

Working...
    X