Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting rid of the "desktop grid splash screen" when switching between desktop

Every time I switch between virtual desktops this huge "desktop grid" box pops up to show me with arrows where I've "traveled". Typically, it's right on top of the application I meant to use, blocking my (impatient) access to it. Is there a way to turn this off?

Re: getting rid of the "desktop grid splash screen" when switching between desktop

it must be some "desktop effect" that does that.
    so, have a go in "system settings" -> "desktop" -> "desktop effects" -> "all effects".
    scroll down to "window management".
    see if it's one of those.
    hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Re: getting rid of the "desktop grid splash screen" when switching between desktop

No, it happens even with compositing turned off.

Comment

no idea, then, sorry.
        gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

On, and that cube!

When you rotate it manually, the four desktops wrap around it in a horizontal strip. Easy.

But when you indirectly trigger the cube effect by switching between desktops via the pager or taskbar or desktop switchy keyboard shortcuts -- then the desktops are distributed over the cube faces in an altogether different manner: the two-dimensional two-by-two grid of the pager is "folded" onto the cube faces... which doesn't really work out, when you think about it. Do you realize that a 4 corner square rotating 1/4 turn creates a full circle? A full rotated square will create 16 corners, 96 hours and 4 simultaneous 24 hour Day circles within only a single imaginary cubed Earth roation. It's a bit confusing.

Now, with a single-row pager, this doesn't happen. But then the pager takes up over a third of the panel (dual head pagers are twice as wide, I suppose). I can emigrate the pager onto the desktop, but there it won't resize properly at all, and look broken.

Ah, w e l l ...hardly relevant, cosmically speaking.

Comment

Working...
          X