Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved?] Blocked Updates: kernel files...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved?] Blocked Updates: kernel files...

Hi All

Running Jaunty with KDE 4.2.4.

The other day my softwate update picked up four new updates for my system:
    - linux-generic
    - inux-headers-generic
    - linux-image-generic
    - linux-restricted-modules-generic

However when trying to apply these updates (via Synaptic) I get the "Unresolved Dependencies" error.
    This happens when I try to apply either one or all of these updates.
    Code:
    linux-generic:
     Depends: linux-image-generic (=2.6.28.13.17) but 2.6.28.12.16 is to be installed
     Depends: linux-restricted-modules-generic (=2.6.28.13.17) but 2.6.28.12.16 is to be installed
    Odd because the .17 version is whats in the repos, according to Synaptic!
    Same issue with apt-get (output follows). I did an apt-get update first.

Any ideas?

TIA

Andy

apt-get output:
    Code:
    asd@dad-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -V
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
      linux-generic (2.6.28.12.16 => 2.6.28.13.17)
      linux-headers-generic (2.6.28.12.16 => 2.6.28.13.17)
      linux-image-generic (2.6.28.12.16 => 2.6.28.13.17)
      linux-restricted-modules-generic (2.6.28.12.16 => 2.6.28.13.17)
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

Re: Blocked Updates: kernel files...

Try (from konsole):

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

But check everything before you hit "Y", to make sure you are not removing or upgrading anything that you don't want to.

"dist-upgrade" is necessary to upgrade from one version of a program (such as the kernel) to a newer version.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

The last two days same happen to me, these kernel updates are advertised by KPackageKit as 'Blocked', once the other updates have been done they disappear.
      Today I first looked in Adept and Synaptic but the 'Blocked' items were not offered at all, the same for the bare-bones apt-get.

Comment

Same to me. I am going to wait two days, and in my experience by then the updates will be automatically applied.

Notice the difference in output of the following commands:
        Code:
        $ sudo aptitude -s safe-upgrade
        $ sudo aptitude -s full-upgrade
        With the second command you can apply the update but read the changes it will make to your system.
        I am going to wait a few days

Comment

Hi doctordruidphd

Thanks for your reply.
          Actually I had done an "apt-get update" before the dist-upgrade.
          So that cannot be it. And I see the same in apt-get, Synaptic & KPackageKit. So it cannot be the programs used.

According to the other posters (ntzim, Teunis) it appears that i am not alone, so could be a bug in the kernel update's packaging?

Teunis: I redid the "apt-get update" tonight (Aussie time) & the dodgy kernel updates are still there. Despite installing other updates in the meantime. So if that solved your problem its not the same with my system!

I'm going to have to look to see if there is a similar msg on the Ubuntu board!

Cheers

Andy

Comment

I am seeing the same thing. If you look in the "Properties" in synaptic, they depend on things that are not in the repos:

for instance, linux-headers-generic 2.6.28.12.16>.17 upgrade depends on linux-headers-2.6.28.12-generic which is not in the repos.

Or am I reading this wrong?

Comment

Hi Folks

Same problem found on the Ubuntu forums:
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...+update+jaunty

Appears that it happens if you have the "Proposed" repos enabled.
              Looks like there are dependencies that have not made their way into the "Proposed" repo.

So it should resolve itself sometime soon (or disable the "proposed" repos in the meantime).

Cheers

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by rmallis
                I am seeing the same thing. If you look in the "Properties" in synaptic, they depend on things that are not in the repos:

for instance, linux-headers-generic 2.6.28.12.16>.17 upgrade depends on linux-headers-2.6.28.12-generic which is not in the repos.

Or am I reading this wrong?
                Update: Actually, it looks like it is asking for linux-headers-2.6.28.13-generic which is not in the repo.

But why .13 and not .12? This may be a mistake not just an unplaced package. If it is a mistake, then maybe forcing the install may be appropriate. And, yes, I am also using the ppa's

Comment

Re: [Solved?] Blocked Updates: kernel files...

pdate: Actually, it looks like it is asking for linux-headers-2.6.28.13-generic which is not in the repo.

But why .13 and not .12? This may be a mistake not just an unplaced package. If it is a mistake, then maybe forcing the install may be appropriate. And, yes, I am also using the ppa's
                  All this means is a new kernel --.13 is in the works, but not posted yet. Parts of its support files are there, but the kernel itself is not. Probably still being tested. The messages will go away once all the files are there and the update goes through. It isn't an error, just apt doing what it is supposed to do -- install updates only when all the required files are available.
                  We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: [Solved?] Blocked Updates: kernel files...

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                    pdate: Actually, it looks like it is asking for linux-headers-2.6.28.13-generic which is not in the repo.

All this means is a new kernel --.13 is in the works, but not posted yet. Parts of its support files are there, but the kernel itself is not. Probably still being tested. The messages will go away once all the files are there and the update goes through. It isn't an error, just apt doing what it is supposed to do -- install updates only when all the required files are available.
                    I have seen instances like this before, but I got confused because the update in question is in the .12 series (2.6.28.12.16>.17) but the dependency is in the .13 series. It doesn't make logical sense, but if that's the way it is, then that's the way it is . Learn something new every day...
                    Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X