This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bizzare problem with MP4 files

O.k yesterday I tried to rename an MP4 video file and Dolphin just froze up, after a bit of a wait the context menu does appear but you can't select anything I tried with Konqueror aswell, same thing

It only happens with MP4's though, every other file type allows me to open the context menu and rename etc..

Any ideas anyone?

I have installed the new version of KDE (4,2.4) but can't see why that would cause any issue?

Many thanks for reading

Kurtfhouse

Re: Bizzare problem with MP4 files

O.k this was bugging me so much I did a complete reinstall. All I have done is apply the updates and MP4 files are still causing freeze ups. I installed the XFCE desktop and logged in using that and I can edit MP4's fine??

Can anyone else try editing an MP4 and see if its only me?

I'm pulling my hair out

Comment

ok I tryed it and as long as the file is in my /home I can rename it all I want ......when it was on a drive I had to mount with my pasword I could NOT rename it...........unless I used a sudo dolphin.........or copeyd to /home ....

kubuntu9.04 KDE4.2.2

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have the same exact problem. It seems to be getting worse as well. When I just put my mouse pointer on an mp4 file Dolphin freezes and then after about 3 minutes it crashes. If I go to the file and click it real fast, I'm on single click, dolphin still freezes but the file will play after a few minutes and dolphin still crashes. Anyone have any ideas please. Thank you.
        Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

Here the MP4 files seem to work but all Kubuntu installations are a bit different so:

Maybe

a)
          Peter Penz (dolphin developer) wrote > Information Panel:
          Final remark: Until KDE 4.2 it was possible that Dolphin got blocked for several seconds when reading the meta data of specific files (huge videos, compressed files). The nice thing about using Nepomuk is that no blocking occurs anymore, as the meta data parsing has been done already outside the context of Dolphin.
          Do you have the Nepomuk on or off ??

b)
          Are you using the the Redland Soprano backend or the the sesame2 backend. As default the Jaunty is coming with the Redland. The default, Redland, has a horrible performance at many cases:

> Nepomuk & Stigi
          and to me when doing a tag search with the Redland there is high cpu load and no results.
          > Tag search - The Redland Soprano backend has a horrible performance ?

Note !
          These are only uneducated guesses. To get more information:

Crash reports

Maybe the apport will give more information > Apport
          Apport is a system which

* intercepts crashes right when they happen the first time,
          * gathers potentially useful information about the crash and the OS environment,
          * can be automatically invoked for unhandled exceptions in other programming languages (e. g. in Ubuntu this is done for Python),
          * can be automatically invoked for other problems that can be automatically detected (e. g. Ubuntu automatically detects and reports package installation/upgrade failures from update-manager),
          * presents a UI that informs the user about the crash and instructs them on how to proceed,
          * and is able to file non-crash bug reports about software, so that developers still get information about package versions, OS version etc.
          Apport is not enabled by default in stable releases, even if it is installed. There are two ways to enable it...

The automatic crash interception component of apport is disabled by default in stable releases for a number of reasons: ...
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm glad its not just me

Rog131, I will have a read and see what I can learn

Comment

Working...
            X