This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the KDE 4.2.4 repository official?

kubuntu's website announced the news about kde 4.2.4. (See http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2.4 )

Is the repository listed in the article official?? Coz I am a bit concerned about how safe it is to use the repository. I am worrying if it is not an official repository, then perhaps the packages may not have been well tested and the update may potentially break my system.

Re: Is the KDE 4.2.4 repository official?

Is the repository listed in the article official?? Coz I am a bit concerned about how safe it is to use the repository. I am worrying if it is not an official repository, then perhaps the packages may not have been well tested and the update may potentially break my system.
    A bit more information (links) > Kubuntu Announcements (Kubuntu forums) >> KDE 4.2.4 Released for Kubuntu

The > Kubuntu Updates PPA /1/ is telling:
    Updates for Kubuntu releases which are due to go to Ubuntu Updates. Mostly KDE point releases.
    I interpret this: If you really want to install these packages NOW, they are available. Some day they could be moved to the Ubuntu Updates /1/.

Note that:
    - the KDE 4.2.4 was released 3.6 (well tested - it depends )
    - the KDE 4.2.4 is a bug fix release - it should fix some of the known bugs (is your installation affected ?)
    - there are still packaging bugs that were at the KDE 4.2.2 ( > Topic: Kget plasma applets not working)
    - there was new packaging problems (> Wrong dependencies in kubuntu-ppa), they seems to be fixed.

About breaking system (and using the PPA and/or backport repositories)

When i upgrade/install from the PPA/backport. I do a simulation first !

Code:
    sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade
    -s, --simulate, --just-print, --dry-run, --recon, --no-act
    No action; perform a simulation of events that would occur but do not actually change the system.
    If this shows that there are packages that will removed or not upgraded then i will check more. The packages could still have bugs - but so have the packages from the stable release.

The updgrade to the KDE 4.2.4 (> Topic: KDE 4.2.4) did have packages that were depending Qt 4.5.1 => broken system. I did wait the fix and then updgraded to the KDE 4.2.4 without problems.

/1/ FAQ: Repositories
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by kwokyinc
      kubuntu's website announced the news about kde 4.2.4. (See http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2.4 )

I have upgraded to 4.2.4 on several different PCs so far without any problems.

Comment

No problem either.

Comment

Working...
        X