This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.2.4

I currently use Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.2.3 from the PPA. It works fine. However, KDE 4.2.4. has just released, and it requires QT 4.5.1., which is not included, and the package manager wants to remove a lot of KDE packages. So now I had to remove the PPA from the sources. Is there any package that includes QT 4.5.1, or it will be included later, or what?

Re: KDE 4.2.4

I just upgraded to 4.2.4 this morning with out any problems.
    The upgrade did not want to remove anything. I did notice
    after the upgrade qt was at 4.5.1. I don't know when it was
    updated to 4.5.1 but it must have been awhile back. You
    might want to check further before you make changes.

bob

Comment

I had the same problem on a laptop I was setting up for an individual. When I rebooted the 4.2.4 kdm and startkde were missing, and now the only desktop I have is the standby I set up just in case of accidents like this, XFCE.

I cannot find Qt4.51.

Now, it appears, the ppa repository is reporting it has only 100 files!

I can't find the KDE4.2.3 files in order to downgrade.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hmm. I wonder where you got the qt upgrades from? I too had to disable the kubuntu repo to avoid the mess of dependencies upon that newer qt version.

The new qt stuff is not in the backports or pre-official updates repos nor is it in the kubuntu ppc repo.

It is possible that the previous kubuntu-updates ppc repo had those qt upgrades, but that repo is now just kubuntu ppc and doesn't have the necessary qt stuff for the KDE upgrade to install. Your's likely worked because you had those qt things installed before the repos changed.

Comment

The packages for the Kubuntu KDE 4.2.4 are not officially released.

There are:

> Kubuntu Updates
          Description

Updates for Kubuntu releases which are due to go to Ubuntu Updates. Mostly KDE point releases.
          > PPA for Kubuntu Most Experimental Packages
          Description

Low quality and therefore dangerous packages, which are trials of prealpha software which might be included in the Ubuntu archives at some point.

The Expermental PPA has: qt4-x11 (4.5.1-1ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa1). Packages there are depending Qt 4.5.1.

Packages at the Kubuntu Updates PPA should depend Qt 4.5.0 but:
          kate: Depends: libqt4-dbus (>= 4.5.1) but 4.5.0-0ubuntu4.1 is to be installed
          Depends: libqt4-network (>= 4.5.1) but 4.5.0-0ubuntu4.1 is to be installed
          Depends: libqt4-qt3support (>= 4.5.1) but 4.5.0-0ubuntu4.1 is to be installed
          Depends: libqt4-svg (>= 4.5.1) but 4.5.0-0ubuntu4.1 is to be installed
          Depends: libqt4-xml (>= 4.5.1) but 4.5.0-0ubuntu4.1 is to be installed
          Depends: libqtcore4 (>= 4.5.1) but 4.5.0-0ubuntu4.1 is to be installed
          Depends: libqtgui4 (>= 4.5.1) but 4.5.0-0ubuntu4.1 is to be installed
          The kate is build from the kdesdk. At the moment the Kubuntu Updates PPA is telling:
          Changelog

kdesdk (4:4.2.4-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa1.1) jaunty; urgency=low

* Rebuild in PPA
          => That is: wait a moment, soon there will be packages that will be working with the Qt 4.5.0.
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Yeah, they fixed them up to work with qt 4.5.0. I rechecked the repo and successfully upgraded to KDE 4.2.4.

Comment

I checked KDE website today morning and it said that kubuntu packages are available and provided a link to the announcement on kubuntu's website. The link worked and i found the announcement. So I did an upgrade and could not pay too much attention as I was getting ready to go to work. The upgrade removed several KDE packages and my computer is messed up now.

I went to kubuntu website now and they do not have the KDE 4.2.4 release announcement anymore (they removed it). The linke from KDE's website to kubuntu's announcement is also not working.

I am at work now but have to fix my system when i return home in the evening. I hope there is a solution to it by then.

Can i just remove kubuntu repo and install kubuntu-desktop again to bring back to working state? Sorry I have on kubuntu only for 2 days: Ubuntu->Linux Mint->Mandriva->now Kubuntu.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

A reply was typed while I was typing my previous post. I see that it is fixed now. But how can I fix my messed up system?

I forgot to mention that I have the list of KDE packages that were removed. Will reinstalling them work?

thanks

Comment

I have the list of KDE packages that were removed. Will reinstalling them work?
                  It should be. Hoping the best...
                  Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                  1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                  2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Eck
                    Yeah, they fixed them up to work with qt 4.5.0. I rechecked the repo and successfully upgraded to KDE 4.2.4.

I think my problem was that I updated right in the middle of their uploading the fixed files. Right now I am getting the notifier indicator every so often. Time will tell, but I am not rebooting until I see startkde reinstalled.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

With the repo activated, you can try aptitude reinstall kubuntu-desktop. That ought to bring in whatever was removed. Then do aptitude full-upgrade.

Comment

All of the files finally came in and my KDE 4.2.4 is running great!

All of the missing "kcm_"'s that I reported missing from the Systemsettings dialog have been restored.

From a console "kdesudo kate" works as it should, but "sudo kate" causes the xserver to reset and puts one back on the login dialog, which is probably not an ideal behavior. It used to throw an error msg but work anyway.

Comment

Working great for me. The upgrade went very smooth.

Comment

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2.4

Comment

Working...
                            X