This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RESOLVED Lack of audio online

Recently I had the opportunity to wrassle Flash Player into service with brief forays into Kubuntu Restricted Extras, Apt-Get, and finally my favorite Adept – GUI changes from Feisty notwithstanding. I can finally enjoy Patrick Boivin on YouTube – without sound. Same goes for Hulu and other sites including Ty.com to the chagrin of my daughter.

Dibl kindly pointed me to #6 of Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs at http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0, which I have since bookmarked. Now the sound on this Toshiba Satellite works fine – at least as long as I'm playing ogg vorbis files in in Amarok (did I mention that fruitless foray into Kubuntu restricted extras?). Nonetheless I rationalized a problem with the sound base. Having removed and reinstalled linux-sound-base however has improved nothing, and I'm not sure how to proceed next. If Amarok can play music, presumably the Toshiba has found the sound card, that Alsa Mixer has correctly compiled. Can it failed to have compiled simply for web browsers? What am I missing here?

Re: Lack of audio online

There are packages that should be installed. Kdemultimedia, mplayer plugin.

If I rembember correctly when I went to play a mp3 file Amarok downloaded mp3 plugin.

Comment

I installed MPlayer, Windows Media Player, Quicktime, Realplayer and DivX. But I still cannot hear Motherlover (or Jon Stewart) online. > Adept didn't return the KDEMultimedia. So I have the players installed, and sound from Amarok is a okay. What should I do next?

Comment

Install synaptic package manager which shows kdemultimedia, I check on Jon Stewart web site and you need flash plugin to play his video

Comment

Originally posted by rogue417
          I installed MPlayer, Windows Media Player, Quicktime, Realplayer and DivX. But I still cannot hear Motherlover (or Jon Stewart) online. > Adept didn't return the KDEMultimedia. So I have the players installed, and sound from Amarok is a okay. What should I do next?
          Have you turned up the volume for PCM in Kmix?

Comment

RESOLVED Lack of audio online RESOLVED

Oh. Look at that. Kmix has volume control for my PCM card. Tehehe, who knew? Thanks PainGiver. Happy Mother's Day!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/72434/satu...lover-censored

Comment

Re: RESOLVED Lack of audio online RESOLVED

Originally posted by rogue417
              Oh. Look at that. Kmix has volume control for my PCM card. Tehehe, who knew?
              It was the same on my girlfriend's new Jaunty install. She was getting no sound in Frozen Bubble and no sound in Flash movies. I have to wonder why the volume slider was bottomed by default? Seems like a bad choice for the default setup.
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
              X