X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems switching off the laptop

Hi,

I have a strange problem when switching off kubuntu 9.04.

I run the command

sudo halt

and the turning off process starts. It then simply hang, the power led is still on and the screen is not turned off. It happens at the very final stage and it is not deterministic.

I then have to switch it off via hardware by pressing the power button for several seconds.

Do you have any idea what and where to look for to try to understand what kind of problems might be?

Thanks in advance,
    g.
    ---------------<br />Linux kernel 2.6.28-15-generic<br />Kubuntu 9.04 64bit KDE 4.2.2<br />Dell Precision M2400 Intel Dual Core 2<br />Nvidia Quadro FX 370M (Driver Nvidia 180.44)<br />HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)<br />---------------

Re: problems switching off the laptop

First look to see if you have mounted and samba shares that are not being unmounted and causing your filesystems to not properly unmount. Then you can search this forum for /etc/init.d/halt to see a fix I have described for this situation. It requires editing the /etc/init.d/halt and /etc/init.d/reboot scripts. It worked for me and for 2 others who have tried it.

Comment

thanks for the reply, no samba shares, however.
      g.
      ---------------<br />Linux kernel 2.6.28-15-generic<br />Kubuntu 9.04 64bit KDE 4.2.2<br />Dell Precision M2400 Intel Dual Core 2<br />Nvidia Quadro FX 370M (Driver Nvidia 180.44)<br />HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)<br />---------------

Comment

I erased the quiet option from the grub and two funny stuff arised, the first is that the start up hangs... but when shutting down I can see where it hangs, the last command line visible is

Code:
        [3474.375159] Program uspalsh tried to access /dev/mem betweeen 0->e00000
        any idea on what does it mean?

thanks
        g.

Comment

It means that you should remove the usplash kernel option as well as the quiet in menu.lst. When you use that option usplash starts at boot to show you the Kubuntu screen and then hangs around until you shutdown so it can show you the same screen.

Comment

i removed the usplash option (not the quiet). it seems to be ok now. only the

Code:
            sudo reboot
            command hang it but shutdown is fine

that was maybe the tenth configuration/bug problem with 9.04...

thanks
            g.

Comment

Jep, I have also problems with shutdown and reboot in Jaunty.. but I also had problems in Hardy and Intrepid... and older versions...
              Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
              CV and gallery at grn.dk
              Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Comment

Working...
              X