X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD Ripping from CLI

This may be old news to some...

I used to hate the command line, but now that I have been using Linux for over a year, it is very comfortable. For whatever reason, I can't get K3B to rip CD's in MP3 format, and for various reasons, the other formats won't work for me. It looks like it is throwing in an extra '/' in the path (IE: ~/Library//some folder/some song.mp3)...not sure why, and can't find info on it...so, I started looking for an alternative MP3 ripper that would preserve MP3 tags.

I found ABCDE (I think it stands for A Better CD Encoder). I had to install a few other apps to make it work with tags, but it works great. All the apps I needed were in the repositories, so I didn't have to do any compiling. It is controlled from a configuration file in the users home directory, and is run from the command line. I set my config file up, changed a few basic options, and started ripping, and it works great.

It will encode in a variety of formats also. I used this site to set it up. Works amazingly well.

I hope this might help someone!

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Re: CD Ripping from CLI

Interesting post. I have never tried ABCDE, but have used jack (not to be confused with jackd) which is a python script that runs cdparanoia and rips, labels and encodes. It can encode in about any format that your system has codecs for.

I will say that the double "//" in a path makes no difference to anything, it just looks ugly. There must be another reason k3b is failing.

Comment

I tend to rip to .wav format (hard drive space is cheap and my desktop is big ....).

However, if I were cramped for space and had your problem, perhaps you could (a) rip to .wav, and then (b) use lame to convert .wav to .mp3.

But, if you've got it working from the CLI, that's probably pretty fast too.

Comment

yeah, I have to have mp3's, because I stream them over the net for my band to learn, so waves won't work...to big!

mm0
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

K3b

The K3b could need the right settings > Re: Ripping problems in JJ >> Re: Using K3b to Rip CDs

CLI

ripit - Textbased audio cd ripper
          ripit runs in text mode (no fancy GUI here) and does everything required to
          produce a set of mp3, ogg, flac, m4a files without any user-intervention.

ripit does the following with an Audio CD:
          - Get the audio CD Album/Artist/Tracks information from CDDB
          - Rip the audio CD Tracks (using cdparanoia or other cdrippers)
          - Encode the files (using lame, oggvorbis flac and/or faac)
          - ID3 tag them (v1 & v2)
          - Optional: creates a playlist (M3U) file (lists MP3s created,
          used by various MP3 players)
          - Optional: Prepares and sends a CDDB submission.
          - Optional: Saves the CDDB file.

Homepage:http://www.suwald.com/ripit/ripit.html
          Correct link > RipIt - a command line audio CD ripper

The JJ (and II) repositories have a broken version, more > Re: Ripping problems in JJ - RipIT
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
          X