Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I seem to have a lot of package managers!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seem to have a lot of package managers!

I'm running 9.04 Kubuntu with the KDE 4.3 beta (which is working SO WELL for me!).

Anyway, under my K menu's Applications>System I now seem, for some reason, to have no fewer than four different software/package managers. These are labelled:

PACKAGE MANAGER
    Add/remove...

PACKAGE MANAGER
    Adept Manager

PACKAGE MANAGER
    Synaptic Package Manager

SOFTWARE MANAGEMENT
    KPackageKit

SOFTWARE SOURCES

The first of these works well, but seems to be the Gnome package manager (it has a Gnome logo, and I'm pretty sure I remember it from Gnome use). The second, third and fifth don't load, and KPackageKit loads.

Can I zap the ones that don't load? Should I get rid of the Gnome one (as presumably using it involved having lots of gnome dependencies)? I'm pretty puzzled by how so many are there...

Re: I seem to have a lot of package managers!

Wow, weird! How did they get there?

Having fewer or more package managers should not impact your system in any way, to my knowledge.

I have two of them on my system, the default one and Adept.

Personally, I find Adept to be sufficient (and superior) for most purposes. But, sometimes I use the default one, when Adept for whatever reason does not pinpoint what I want.

You just have to figure out which package manager you like most -- or keep all of them!

Comment

I think at least one appeared when I upgraded to KDE 4.3 beta, but I haven't specially installed any of them. It's weird. I'm just wondering whether I can kill any, as I do like to run a tight computer and not have unnecessary programs around.

Comment

Go ahead, adding and removing package managers is like adding or removing any other program.

Just don't remove all of them because then you'll be in trouble!

Comment

Working...
        X