This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Audio CD player?

Are there any audio CD players . . THAT WORK??

So far, only Banshee even sees the CD, and that won't download media info.
    Maybe I have something set up wrong somewhere, but nothing (including dolphin) even sees the fact that the CD is inserted. Do I have the file types listed wrong in fstab?

Code:
    /dev/scd0    /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 user,unhide,noauto,exec,utf8 0   0
    /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,unhide,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    This is the first time I have tried to play an audio CD, and I had no idea there was this problem...

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: Audio CD player?

mine plays fine. with rhythmbox and kaffeine.......strangley amarok2 wouldent do it

what ver. ar you using?

have you done this.....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

if not do!

you may not have all the codex you nead for all multemedea.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Amarok2 doesn't support CDs and it is not certain if they are going to be in the future, I reverted back to Amarok 1.4 which works perfectly. You can also use Exaile which is pretty good.

See my earlier post on how to revert back to Amarok 1.4

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3103849.0

Originally posted by vinnywright
      mine plays fine. with rhythmbox and kaffeine.......strangley amarok2 wouldent do it

what ver. ar you using?

have you done this.....

if not do!

VINNY

Comment

I just tried Banshee again and it is the dog's bollocks, I love the way that it imports CDs without any fuss.

Originally posted by tomp01

Amarok2 doesn't support CDs and it is not certain if they are going to be in the future, I reverted back to Amarok 1.4 which works perfectly. You can also use Exaile which is pretty good.

See my earlier post on how to revert back to Amarok 1.4

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3103849.0

Originally posted by vinnywright

what ver. ar you using?

have you done this.....

if not do!

VINNY

Comment

I just tried Banshee again and it is the dog's bollocks, I love the way that it imports CDs without any fuss.
          I'm not quite sure how to interpret that, but on my system, it reads the cds fine, but does not retrieve data, so there are no track names, etc.

Thanks for the pointer to Exaile - seems to be working great. However, there does not seem to be a RIP option, which means as of right now, I cannot rip CDs without manually entering all the track data.

What I really don't understand is why, when running the Ubuntu desktop, the file browser (Nautilus) shows the files on the CD, while in KDE, dolphin does not. I would think that since the underlying system (kernel, etc) is the same, both should read the CD the same. But they don't. Well, others have noticed this problem, and no solution seems to exist as of yet.

Yes, I have downloaded all the stuff in the multimedia how-to. Thanks for the tip.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

As regards Banshee, you have to select Edit>Preferences>Audio CD and tick Automatically import CDs. Also select Tools>Cover Art>Download Cover Art.

As regards Dolphin, I flagged that up as a issue several weeks ago but Nautilus works so why not use that for now.

Originally posted by doctordruidphd

I'm not quite sure how to interpret that, but on my system, it reads the cds fine, but does not retrieve data, so there are no track names, etc.

Thanks for the pointer to Exaile - seems to be working great. However, there does not seem to be a RIP option, which means as of right now, I cannot rip CDs without manually entering all the track data.

What I really don't understand is why, when running the Ubuntu desktop, the file browser (Nautilus) shows the files on the CD, while in KDE, dolphin does not. I would think that since the underlying system (kernel, etc) is the same, both should read the CD the same. But they don't. Well, others have noticed this problem, and no solution seems to exist as of yet.

Yes, I have downloaded all the stuff in the multimedia how-to. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

As regards Banshee, you have to select Edit>Preferences>Audio CD and tick Automatically import CDs. Also select Tools>Cover Art>Download Cover Art.
              OK, tried that, it still will not retrieve CD data. I get an error message at the bottom that says, "Could not fetch metadata for CD." I checked under Preferences>extensions, and the "Cover art fetching" plugin is enabled.

Comment

Well sorry about that, it works fine for me. What version of Banshee are you using? I have rev. 1.4.3

OK, tried that, it still will not retrieve CD data. I get an error message at the bottom that says, "Could not fetch metadata for CD." I checked under Preferences>extensions, and the "Cover art fetching" plugin is enabled.

Comment

Have you also tried downgrading Amarok to 1.4?

Originally posted by tomp01

Well sorry about that, it works fine for me. What version of Banshee are you using? I have rev. 1.4.3

Comment

This is 1.4.3.
                    I haven't messed with Amarok yet. As I remember it, earlier versions kept crashing, which is probably why I don't mess with it. Maybe I'll have to revisit it.

Comment

You can use K3b to rip cd, but I had to change th cddb settings from freedb to gnubd.gnudb.org.

You can use KSCD to play cd's.

Amarok downgrade will play cd's but I have trouble with cddb.

Comment

You can use K3b to rip cd, but I had to change th cddb settings from freedb to gnubd.gnudb.org.
                        Thanks for the tip. It took several tries, but I finally found that freedb.freedb.org works; nothing else did.

Oh, and I discovered why banshee wouldn't find track info. Had to open up port 8880 with ufw, now it works fine.

Thanks to all for the help.

Comment

Working...
                        X