X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop keeps freezing!

Hi,
    I have an integrated intel gfx card and it was giving some problems, so i installed the experimental repos for the latest driver builds. This really helped out, and i have been receiving updates most days. This morning weird started to happen,
    1) if i unlock the desktop widgest = total freeze
    2) attempt to open gwenview = total freeze
    3) A certain tool option in digiKam = total freeze

In all cases, i need to hold the power button for a 5sec to reboot. Is this cause im using experimental driver or is it just a coincidence? If so is there a way to roll back the driver updates i have gotten?
    Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Re: Desktop keeps freezing!

With Synaptic, you can "force version" in the Package menu.

With apt-get... let's see, you can use sudo apt-get install <package name>=<package version> to downgrade a package. You can use sudo apt-cache showpkg <package name> to see which versions are available.

Comment

Thats good thanks, my only problem now is i dont know the name of the last working driver, since it was a latest build repo they changed a few times a week.
      (http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/05/...epository.html
      Is there any way to call up a history of the changes, so that i can get the exact name?
      Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Comment

In all cases, i need to hold the power button for a 5sec to reboot. Is this cause im using experimental driver or is it just a coincidence? If so is there a way to roll back the driver updates i have gotten?
        next time you are going to do that try to this instead, hold ALT + Print SCREEN and type RSEINUB(keep holding alt+ptsn) your computer should shutdown. if it does then linux is still responding and its just be a kde freeze (when it freezes you should do this to avoid disk problems, just incase) enabling zapping in System Settings->Desktop will make it ezer to restart X if kde is freezing (by using crtl+alt+ backspace)
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for all the help, but im afraid something just went really bad, i booted up after trying that alt+prnt screen and type rseinub thing, it got me back to the bios screen. Then i logged in again and this time once network manager tried to connect the whole thing froze again on me ( i didnt do anything it just happened , i repeated this many times ). Anyway i got sick of this and just did a fresh install ( had /home on a different partition ). Its all back to normal again, but the original problem of my intel gfx not working great are back again. For example:
          1) ghost images of the background on program screens
          2) jittery/jumpy effects
          3) desktop effects on/off makes very little difference

So what should i do, live with the crap effects? attempt the experimental intel drivers thing again? another solution?

Patrick

Comment

i would stay away from the experimental drivers. and instead tweak your xorg.conf file. you should be able to find some good info by searching google. it might not be the easiest route but from my experience its the most likely way to improve your video. don't get me wrong i am all for experimental and cutting edge,but in your case i feel a nightly built video driver is not the best idea (unless your testing and reporting bugs).
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
            X